2003 XR70 Oil Leak From Odd Spot & Smoking

I have a 2003 xr70 that just started smoking a few days ago. I changed the oil and did everything i could think of to try to make it stop. I finally went to the manual and decided to check the valves, because the probably never have been checked. As I took the side cover off (the manual said I had to to check the valves) Oil started to leak from the bottom right bolt!!😏 Knowing that was not good, i let all the oil drain out. Of course, it was engine oil. I don't know if this is why my engine is smoking, a light blue smoke, which indicates it IS oil. I don't know what else to do. The engine starts and runs fine, with no power lost or any noise. Here is a picture of the bolt its leaking from. any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you (that is not my 70 in the picture)

but would that ever be a problem if the oil is leaking out of that? putting a bolt in there sounds like it would fix it. but not permanetly.

There are two solutions to the problem:

1. You put the Yamabond or 1184 on the bolt, snug it up, and leave it there for as long as you own the bike its in..

2. You remove the left side cover, the flywheel, stator, cam chain, front sprocket, and shift lever. You then remove the right side cover, all the clutch parts, the clutch basket itself, the primary drive gear, the kickstarter spring, the detent arm, shift star, and the shift shaft assembly. Then you split the cases, remove the crankshaft, transmission and shift drum, and the rest of the kickstarter. After that, you thoroughly clean the inside of the left side engine case, and have it welded closed to prevent any further oil leaks.

Your choice...😏

• 7 months later...

i just bought an xr70, with this exact same problem. i'm gonna try the same repair, but first some questions. which yamabond do i use? what is 1184 ? quick google search showed there are several yamabonds. i assume that i put the same long bolt back into the hole. drain all the oil out first. any prep? thanks, tommy

I would lean the bike over to the right at about 45 degrees overnight, spray a little evaporative contact cleaner in the hole, goop some 1194 on the bolt threads and reinstall the bolt. Leave the bike leaned over for another couple hours, upright it and let it set overnight. Should be alright then. Here is the newest upgrade to 1184...

1194.jpg