87 DR125 Wont idle

Hello, I wanted to know if any one here could offer some help. I have an 87 DR125 I'm fixing up. When I got it the engine was seized and the carb was full of crap. Ive since clean everything out and got it running. The problem is the bike will not stat unless I prime the engine, meaning squirt some gas into the spark plug hole. Then it starts right up and keeps running so long as I keep the throttle open at least 1/4 or more. It will not idle, and if the revs drop it dies, I prime it again and it fires right up. Ive cleaned out the pilot jet and its whole circuit 3 times, compressed air passes right through it so its clean. Any thoughts? Thanks

Check your petcock.... make sure gas flows from the tank when the petcock is set to ON or reserve.

Loosen the bowl drain screw from the carb (if it has one) and be sure fuel comes out. Have a plastic cup ready and No Smoking 😏

Since you said the engine was seized it may be a compression issue.

Where in CT are you located?

Bob

The petcock is set to reserve right now, and fuel is filling the float bowl. It does run indefinitely only if the throttle is open more than 1/4 of the way. But as soon as i close the throttle it bogs and dies. I would think because its being starved of gas when the throttle is less than 1/4 open. But the strangest thing to me is that no matter what it wont start, even when warm, without me priming it.😏 It runs at open throttle, so it should start when i give it open throttle? but it just wont. Also im in madison

The petcock is set to reserve right now, and fuel is filling the float bowl. It does run indefinitely only if the throttle is open more than 1/4 of the way. But as soon as i close the throttle it bogs and dies. I would think because its being starved of gas when the throttle is less than 1/4 open. But the strangest thing to me is that no matter what it wont start, even when warm, without me priming it.😏 It runs at open throttle, so it should start when i give it open throttle? but it just wont. Also im in madison

Did you run a stiff, fine piece of wire through the pilot circuit?

What model carb does it have?

Did you inspect the slide needle/clip and float needle & seat ?

Edited by Bob Onit

+1 The symptoms you describe are pilot circuit related. Better yank the carb back off and go through it again. Take out all the jets and make sure every passage is clear. The DR125 is going to have a very small pilot jet... make sure not to damage it trying to clean it out.

Edited by mx_rob

I believe you guys are right. Ive been continually cleaning the pilot circuit out. Ive managed to clean out alot of white corrosion from the pilot hole in the carb. I can get a piece of steel wire a few millimeters in there, i wish i knew how deep the hole was until it connected to the rest of the pilot circuit. Hopefully this will remedy my problems. Thanks for your help.

I believe you guys are right. Ive been continually cleaning the pilot circuit out. Ive managed to clean out a lot of white corrosion from the pilot hole in the carb.

You really should remove the needle Jet/pipe part #23. It should come right out out once you have the main jet (#21) out. It may take a little force but not much.

Be sure the horizontal holes are cleaned thoroughly.

Use a piece of stiff wire and Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner spray if possible (Advanced Auto parts carries it)... It's much better than the weak pink crap that you usually find in auto parts stores. You need to get that tube clean!!!!

This is more for wide open throttle but as long as you have it apart, clean it good as it's only going to cause problems down the road!

Also clean anything you see on the fiche that has to do with the Polot (idle) circuit

Heres a link to the parts fiche, hope the link works. 😏

http://www.fullthrottlemotorsports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=89086&category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=1986&fveh=2023

2023_8.gif

Edited by Bob Onit