New xr250. Quick question

Hey guys, just regestered here and am looking for some help with my new to me, 84 xr250r. I bought this thing yesterday for 180 dollars, everything is in really good shape, it is a complete bike, not missing a single thing except a couple bolts and a wiring harness. I am looking to buy a wiring harness now but dont know what I need. I can find the harness no problem, but dont know what it needs. I will be running it with no lights or tail light, so would it need a voltage regulator? Basically what is the bare minimum to get it running? What additional parts do I need for the harness? I know it needs a cdi box and a coil, but is that all?

It has 2 wires coming from the stator, which are pink and black I think? And two more on the clutch side under the headers with a plug on the end. Any help would be appreciated.

Also are there any wiring harnesses that would fit besides the 84? I am kinda looking for the square plug cdi style harness. The prices for these are outrageous, 50 bucks for a few wires, and almost 100 for an 84 cdi? I can get the square style cdi for under TEN BUCKS. Really want to get this thing up and going soon.

Check Ebay big guy. You can sometimes find the full thing on there for pretty cheap. Regardless you should not have bought a bike for 180 and expected to put in 100 bucks max. Look at spending closer to 400 to get it running so you won't be disappointed. Also check online for a wiring diagram, maybe you can make your own or something.

Good luck big guy.

Guess ill have to just fork the dough over.. I am not planning on putting anymore than 150 into it for the time being. It is not missing anything but the tail light and speedo. Everything works, and is just about as good as the day it came off the show room floor mechanically. Just missing the wiring for some reason. Looks like it was laid over one time and put away for years. Only a small tear in the seat, and plastic bubbled by the muffler. Not your typical 180 dollar bike.

34y9oq9.jpg

I had one similar that I got for 200, it was in really great condition. It needed a crank. Good looking bike bud. Hope you get it going. Good luck.

That cool, yeah this was a steal for sure. The engine is in excellant condition as far as I can tell. Headers still have stock paint and dosent seem to leak a drop of oil anywhere. I bought an uncut harness off ebay along with a cdi so hopefully I can find a coil off another bike. I can get a coil off an old xl bike, xl500 I believe. It has the 2 plugs so im assuming it should work?

The only reason I didnt want to spend alot is because my original intentions were to buy it and sell it for double what I paid, But after I looked at it and the condition it kind of grew on me and now I just want to get it running and ride it for a while 😏

You won't be able to. I bought my XR250R for 600 bucks. It's worth more than that. Planned on doing the exact same thing. Now I am keeping it and making it street legal and going to ride it to work once I finish.

Well we are talking about 370 dollars, not 1200.... And I already had my friend offer 500. Whos to judge a cell phone picture over the internet?

No dude, I meant you won't be able to get rid of it. My bad. They are really awesome bikes, you will fall in love with it and it will be way too hard. Love mine. Sorry about the misunderstanding. You would be able to get that much money out of it easy. If you only pay 370 you could probably look at getting 1000 out of it if it runs great and if it is a 90's bike. Even early.

oh ok got ya now, I thought you meant I wouldnt be able to get rid of it for twice what I paid 😏 My bad, but it looks even better in person than in the pic. Well I guess ill post how this thing turns out, cant wait.

This bike is an 84 by the way but its amazing the shape its in, pic really dosent do it justice. Im not selling it but would be happy to get 600 out of it, and thats more than double even after I buy a few parts like chain, sprockets and maybe a new plug and stickers.

But one more thing, I heard about the engines jetted lean from factory? I think I read stock is around 95 main in one carb and something in the other. This one has a 105 main in the primary, is this stock?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an updated, this bike runs awesome. It started first kick once I hooked up the wiring. I bought the cdi and harness but rigged a coil off of a 3 wheeler and it works great. Dosent seem to over heat unless its 90 outside. Just need to regear it, this thing will pull stumps. :banana: