03 CRF450R hard to Start

Assuming your valves are in spec, how's your fuel? I know my CRF was pretty finicky on fuel quality. So, if the fuel sat in the bowl for over a week, it would start hard, but drain the draining the bowl and filling with fresh fuel would solve the problem. I just got in the habit of draining the bowl when I put the bike away.

well i am also a newbie but figured out real quick that you start a 4 Stroke a lot different than you do a 2 stroke. so if you are just waling away at the kicker sure you will finally get it but the slow strong kicks is what my 450 likes.

I find that if I let my 02 sit for a week or so, its hard to start cold and I'll have to use the choke and maybe even pump the throttle once or twice to get some fuel in there. As long as I start it up and run it once every 2 days or so its fine.

Mine can be a bit difficult to start hot, but I find that this technique works good and will usually get it started in 1-2 kicks hot: Put it in neutral, engage the hot start lever fully, slowly start pushing the kicker past compression. The moment it gets passed compression stop pushing, let the kicker go all the way back up then give it a swift hard kick.

I agree with 450time, take your time and do very few, but powerful and forceful kicks. I used to do the keep kicking over and over rapidly with it but by the time it finally started I was too tired to even want to keep riding.

Good question, I have no idea. My '04 has the stock valves and I haven't checked gap in two years. If the bike is on a stand it will start first kick hot or cold, I guess all I can tell you is that the stock '04 valves are working well for me. If you're into working on bikes and tricking them out, go for the gold my friend!

All I can say is stay away from the throttle when starting this bike and life will be good. When cold, give it three slow primer kicks then push down to where you get some resistance, let kicker come back up a few clicks then a good full kick will get her going almost everytime. (I'm usually holding onto the front master cylinder when I do this so I don't inadvertently feed in some gas).

When I first got the 450 I used to try starting it like my two stroke 500 and kick hard while feeding in the gas and it was pointless:bonk:. Thanks to posters from this site I start it up first kick most times now:thumbsup:.

Check your valve adjustment - most likely intake valves are tight.

Stainless valves last much longer. The problem with the stock titanium valves is once the coating wears away the valves will need adjusted every 5 to 10 hours at best. Stainless are heavier and you will loose a very small amount of top end performance but unless you are racing you most likely wont notice any difference at all.

I have changed to stainless on my bike and both of my boys bikes. CRF450R, CFR250R, CFR250X and have had very good luck.