Hood River County Trails Fire Season

Hood River County Fire Season

Fire Season (Level 1) in Hood River County started on July 1, 2010. Regulated Use Closure (Level 2) went into effect on July 21, 2010. The East Side (Fir Mt Rd.), Pine Mont, and Middle Mt. Trails are closed during Regulated Use Closure. The West Side Trails (Post Flats, Binns Hill, and Kingsley Reservoir) will remain OPEN for now. The West Side Trails will close when the Fire Level goes to Level 3. Your bike must have an ATV sticker and a spark arrestor. Thanks to the Hood River County Forestry Dept. and Oregon State Parks for the waiver that allows the West Side Trails to remain open during Level 2. For more information contact the Hood River County Forestry Dept. at 541-387-6888.

On July 27, 2010 the Fire Season Regulated Use Closure for Hood River County went to Level 3. The Northwest Area Trails are now closed to motorized use. ALL trails in Hood River County are now CLOSED to motorized use. For more information contact the Hood River County Forestry Dept. at 541-387-6888.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI I just called the HR line and trails are still closed, "indefinitely until Fall". What a load of crap. Because things are not green we freak out about fire? How do they ride in SoCal at all? I bet we have more moisture content around Hood River right now then they have 99% of the year.

I wonder if the mtn bikers have anything to do with this...I assume the trails are still open to pedal power?

FYI I just called the HR line and trails are still closed, "indefinitely until Fall". What a load of crap. Because things are not green we freak out about fire? How do they ride in SoCal at all? I bet we have more moisture content around Hood River right now then they have 99% of the year.

I wonder if the mtn bikers have anything to do with this...I assume the trails are still open to pedal power?

that area does get REALLY dry and look ripe for fires. I'm good with this. Ride somewhere else until it is open, no big deal.

• 5 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the trails have been reopened? It looks like the fire precaution level is back down to a 1 as of 8/30 if I am reading it right.

http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/FIRE/precautionlevel.shtml

Thanks,

Ken

It went down to Level 2 on 8/30. We really have not had any rain all summer in HR County. It is still very dry. We had a fire above Kingsley last weekend.

We are waiting on some heavy rain.

The Trails are still CLOSED.

I was at pinemont yesterday, still closed- I havent been rideing in a few years (10) and I dont remember them closeing trails for fire danager ever, is this a new thing? I used to ride mcubbins in late august every summer, as long as my xr had its stock pipe on noone ever said anything

Mt Hood is higher elevation and has different fire regulations.

Hood River County is lower elevation and under Oregon Dept of Forestry. The trails in HR County have been closing for fire season since I moved here in 1991. Now there are signs up and it is enforced. We need RAIN!

We finally got some real rain here tonight. The fire level went down to Level One yesterday. The "powers that be" want to wait until Monday or Tuesday of next week to open the trails back up to M/Cs. They could have opened them up yesterday. Kinda lame...................so the HR County Trails are still CLOSED until next week.