portable air con vs window air con

So I've been researching portable air conditioners for a while now in order to pick the perfect one for my 6x12 enclosed trailer (insulated). Looks like the portables come with a single hose and dual hose option. In the single hose option air from within the room is used to cool the condenser fins and exhausted from the single output hose and so warm air from the outside is sucked in to replace this air.

in the dual hose model air from the outside is sucked in to cool the vents and therefore no hot air actually flows into the room, better cooling efficiency is achieved.

another option is a window unit, someone in the pictures thread had installed one in a plank of wood cut to the size of their trailer door and on hinges. I have a feeling this might be the most efficient method of cooling the trailer.

Just wanted to get some feedback from folks who have portable a/cs with a single or dual hose and whether or not they cool their trailers well.

I tried a single hose 7000btu ac unit in my 6/12. Too much air needs to move through it. The area where the air was blowing was cool not cold, but the other half of the trailer was very warm from the air coming in. This was while parked in total shade on a hot day. I boxed in the inlet area and made it a dual hose ac unit, its ugly but it works much much better. I use it in my garage now and am going to cut a bigger hole for a 5000btu window unit for my trailer. Most likely put it in the front wall and cover it when not in use. This size will make less work for my generator, doesnt take up floor space and is much cheaper. Hope this is helpful.

Edited by OLDJR

I tried a single hose 7000btu ac unit in my 6/12. Too much air needs to move through it. The area where the air was blowing was cool not cold, but the other half of the trailer was very warm from the air coming in. This was while parked in total shade on a hot day. I boxed in the inlet area and made it a dual hose ac unit, its ugly but it works much much better. I use it in my garage now and am going to cut a bigger hole for a 5000btu window unit for my trailer. Most likely put it in the front wall and cover it when not in use. This size will make less work for my generator, doesnt take up floor space and is much cheaper. Hope this is helpful.

Floor space, get one of these:

Coleman Mach series, 13,500 BTU, will run you out. On sale for $404 at

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-air-conditioners/rv-air-conditioner.htm

You will need the ceiling cooler control unit for another $55, but its $460 then. Mounts in a 14X14" opening.

coleman-mach.jpg