New Bikes..THAT much better?

Ok so, i have a 2004 yz250f and i race C class/novice level. My issue is.. me and my buddies that i ride and race with are pretty equal in speed and skill. but within the last year, they've all gotten new bikes..09 crf450r, 10 crf250r,etc..and now im finding myself having a hard time keeping up with them, when before i was always right there..even my one friend who now races my class just moved up from a yz85 to a 2007 kx250f and now i can only hang with him for a little bit. i guess my concern is..are the newer bikes THAT much better? im sure getting a new bike with all the sweet technology will boost confidence like crazy but i still think i should be able to run with them if not beat them. Now im looking into getting a new bike at the end of this year. 2009, 2010, 2011..hopefully one with Fuel Injection 😏. Any opinions or advice on this issue will be helpful!

is your suspension stock? where are they getting away from you? on the straights or in the turns?

maybe u can make some mods to your bike to pimp it out, although it might be more cost effective to sell the bike unless u find some good deals on ebay for offset clamps or hopped up motor parts etc.

sounds to me that your buddies have gotten that much better. new bikes are nice, but that doesn't explain what your situation is...I think you are fine with the 2004 and should just ride faster.

suspension is stock, the only thing ive done to it is replaced seals and bushings. the motor is stock also. they mainly get away in the turns. sometimes on the straights but ive messed with sprocket sizes hoping it might help but it didn't. yeah im really leaning towards selling it and buying something newer. even if its just a used but clean 08 or 09. or maybe a new 09, 2010 leftover..

If they are beating you in the turns, you 1) need to get your suspension locked in for you and/or 2) You need to practice your corners, because your friends obviously carry a lot more speed in and out of the corners than you.

The latest and greatest won't make you a better, faster rider, only seat time, practice, and a properly set up bike will do that.

If they are beating you in the turns, you 1) need to get your suspension locked in for you and/or 2) You need to practice your corners, because your friends obviously carry a lot more speed in and out of the corners than you.

The latest and greatest won't make you a better, faster rider, only seat time, practice, and a properly set up bike will do that.

I'm gonna agree with you here, adding that I am faster than many of my friends on my 17 yr old dirt bike and my 15 year old street bike.

Maybe a newer bike would make me faster, but it's still more the rider than the bike regardless.

I'm gonna agree with you here, adding that I am faster than many of my friends on my 17 yr old dirt bike and my 15 year old street bike.

Maybe a newer bike would make me faster, but it's still more the rider than the bike regardless.

you guys are 100% correct. thats actually what ive been trying to work on lately is just my technique and speed. i believe that if i can get to be faster on a mainly stock set up bike now then when i do make the jump to a newer bike then i should be that much faster..? it may or may not end up that way but its sounding good at this point.

There has been a lot of tweeking and developmental work from 04 to 2010. Things such as better suspension, steering geometry, weight centralisation, efi, lighter bikes all add to the overall better ridability of todays machines. Also yours is probably not going as well as when it was new, more chasis flex, less enging grunt, more worn suspension (softer springs) all detract from what your bike was. So in part they are riding with an advantage. However, it also comes down to time in the saddle and your relative skill levels. if they are putting in more time than you then the slight difference in bikes will not be the core issue.

Actually, a NEW bike is a good starting point however it's "only" good with the latest Pro Circuit valving, linkage, ti springs and engine work... and keep it freshened up every 2 months at least. Then get another new bike in 1 year. Then rinse and repeat. Otherwise the bike is "unrideable".

Actually, a NEW bike is a good starting point however it's "only" good with the latest Pro Circuit valving, linkage, ti springs and engine work... and keep it freshened up every 2 months at least. Then get another new bike in 1 year. Then rinse and repeat. Otherwise the bike is "unrideable".

😏:smirk:🤣:cheers:

You want to know if newer bikes are that much faster than your older one? "Sit down and I will tell you".

Two years ago There was this race at our local MX track which is pretty big. This dude was a Pro rider back in like 1988 when he was 17 years old. He rode a YZ 250 and man he was good.

A year or two later he was just out practicing at his own private track and had a freak accident that left him messed up in his back for several years (like about 5 or six years).

Needless to say he showed up at our series race in 2008 on a 1994 YZ 250 and was in the Pro class of 450 A and won both Moto's on that 94 model against 4 stroke 450's.

Now I know it wasnt all bike that made him win but let me tell you this dude could ride back in the day. He still could ride good as of today but if he was on a newer 4 stroke he would have had a 20 second lead on everyone.

Your bike is good enough to keep up with your friends and is good enough to pass and stay ahead of them. You just got to get better at riding and hone your skills in.

I have a brand new (well not new now) 2010 YZ 450 and There is dudes I race against in the 30+B and 35+ that pass me and stay ahead of me that are on bikes 3 years older than mine.

I'm trying now to go faster and learn my suspension more so I can keep both wheels in contact with the ground to make traction so I can be faster. Those Dam turns is what is hard. If I could get my turns down I would be able to put some series lap times down.

my friends love their EFI now. I haven't gotten the chance to try them out and see how snappy the power is but they swear by it. I believe them. Especially on a 250f where all that power is really needed. Bog is eliminated. Yeah i kno a properly tuned carb can do the same, but why bother? when EFI on mx bikes is obviously becoming the future. Theres plenty of people that i kno will disagree with me on this and they love their carbs and they love their 2 strokes. but thats not me, i love the 4 strokes and i love the trick new bikes 😏

You want to know if newer bikes are that much faster than your older one? "Sit down and I will tell you".

Two years ago There was this race at our local MX track which is pretty big. This dude was a Pro rider back in like 1988 when he was 17 years old. He rode a YZ 250 and man he was good.

A year or two later he was just out practicing at his own private track and had a freak accident that left him messed up in his back for several years (like about 5 or six years).

Needless to say he showed up at our series race in 2008 on a 1994 YZ 250 and was in the Pro class of 450 A and won both Moto's on that 94 model against 4 stroke 450's.

Now I know it wasnt all bike that made him win but let me tell you this dude could ride back in the day. He still could ride good as of today but if he was on a newer 4 stroke he would have had a 20 second lead on everyone.

Your bike is good enough to keep up with your friends and is good enough to pass and stay ahead of them. You just got to get better at riding and hone your skills in.

I have a brand new (well not new now) 2010 YZ 450 and There is dudes I race against in the 30+B and 35+ that pass me and stay ahead of me that are on bikes 3 years older than mine.

I'm trying now to go faster and learn my suspension more so I can keep both wheels in contact with the ground to make traction so I can be faster. Those Dam turns is what is hard. If I could get my turns down I would be able to put some series lap times down.

situations like that have proven time and time again that newer bikes arent all that they are made out to be because they can be beat. The rider controls the machine.

Another issue is, are the new bikes safer today? i vote YES. I dont know if anyone watched that video of chad reed on transworld. He talked about the crash he suffered in detroit sx a couple years ago when he was on a carb yz450. He was going through a rythym section and the bike bogged. he went over the bars and the bike flipped and landed on his chest. Tell me the odds of that happening on an EFI equipped bike.

Uh, I'm confused...you state that you and your buddies are/were equal in lap times with older bikes. The only thing that's changed is that one of them bought a 450, the other bought a 250 and now they both walk away from ya? Depending on the track, I guess it doesn't surprise me that the 450 leaves ya. The newer/fresher 250 does the same, but I only raise a brow to that. Take a self-check, look at your bike. Is it as good as new? Did your buddies put more seat time in recently?

I agree that a better rider can win on a lesser bike, but you stated that you were all equal, and are now wondering why are they faster? It doesn't take much of an advantage to gap someone. 1mph difference is a lap or more in a race.

Uh, I'm confused...you state that you and your buddies are/were equal in lap times with older bikes. The only thing that's changed is that one of them bought a 450, the other bought a 250 and now they both walk away from ya? Depending on the track, I guess it doesn't surprise me that the 450 leaves ya. The newer/fresher 250 does the same, but I only raise a brow to that. Take a self-check, look at your bike. Is it as good as new? Did your buddies put more seat time in recently?

I agree that a better rider can win on a lesser bike, but you stated that you were all equal, and are now wondering why are they faster? It doesn't take much of an advantage to gap someone. 1mph difference is a lap or more in a race.

Not trying to make excuses because i really dont have any. Riding speaks for itself. But i'd have to say that knowing they are on better equipment and knowing that they have stepped up their game also takes a toll on the mental aspect of my riding. Im not taking anything away from them because they are all my friends and good riders. It makes me want to beat them even more. I do need to step up my riding in order to do that tho. Im just hoping that by getting newer equipment will give me a little boost 😏