any ideas on this? Burned? Anybody?

My bike has developed a problem, it has happened 3 times over the last couple of months, each time worse than before. Each time I had gone through a river a few minutes before but I don't know whether this is related as I have gone through rivers at other times without the problem occuring and jet washing does not bring it on. The first sign is the bike occasionally hesitating when opening the throttle. It then develops so that it will run fine up to around half throttle but not at WOT where there is no power at all, like there is either no fuel or spark. From then it gets worse so that it may idle but die as soon as the throttle is touched, then not even idle. Draining the fuel doesn't seem to make any difference. After a while it just seems to sort itself out and run fine.

The last time it happened, yesterday, we ended up towing the bike to my mates house which was nearby to remove the tank and pull the plug. The spark seemed to be poor so we checked all the connectors and sprayed them with WD40. I can't say that this improved things, but same as before it seemed to just sort itself out after a while and is now running normally.

Any suggestions?

Iain

Your carberator vent hoses are getting water in them. This causes a vapor lock and the gas cant move so the engine starves for fuel. You can put a "T" on some of the hoses and run them Up so that the ends either live in the air box or someother place that will let them be above any potential water. Also check your hoses for mud. They can get clogged from that as well..

I once sat in a muddy, water filled, rutt for roughly 30 mins trying to get my bike to start. I never tried to get it out of the water filled rutt while trying to start it.

Yeah I go along with P Moon I'd say your vent tubes are sucking up water and causeing it to flood, if you have an "E" model, the tubes are already "T"ed all you have to do is to run the two top tubes (1 from each side of the carb float bowl/black "T"piece)up under the fuel tank to the rear of the headlight asemmbly where they are out of the road (I have been told not to put them in the air box as this has a different air pressure to normal atmosphereic pressure and can cause a vacuum in the tubes).From memory I had to cut the little black rubber things that hold the tubes together near the carb( just be carefull not to cut the tubes themselves,just use a razor blade to slice through them) but it was pretty easy.And also split the tubes at the end that hang down below the bike, this helps to stop them from geting mud to block them.

IAN

Your carberator vent hoses are getting water in them.

I thought of this and took off the seat to blow through the tubes to make sure they were clear. There was no obstruction and I could hear the air coming out of the bottom tubes.

Thanks anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm going to order a new plug today as I haven't changed it yet but since it only happens occasionally I won't know whether this is the cause or not.

Any other ideas?

Yeah they will be clear now because it ran back out when you shut the bike down and let it sit for a while and then the flooding clears and away you go the water doesn't ussualy get suckes all the way up to the float bowl it just blocks up about the bottom 3 to 6 inches or so and then when the bike is shut down for a while and it has no more vacuum to hold it there it runs back out this is why you run two of the hoses up to the highest point and leave the others hang down so that water and fuel(when it floods )can run out and when your in water the float bowl can stil breath though the top two hoses

Ian

I just read that back and it almost sounds condescending but its not ment too it's just the way it came out ๐Ÿ™‚

Ian

That's OK Ian. I'll try not to sound condescending when I say that 2 of the tubes are already under the seat, rather than hanging down, and that I blew through the tubes to check they were clear and the problem did not go away. Perhaps I should have been more specific. ๐Ÿ™‚

Iain

I can not believe the pro has not answered this one. :D

Here is my $4.26 worth on.

Since the issue is when you hit a water crossing or such

Each time I had gone through a river a few minutes before

and

I have gone through rivers at other times without the problem occurring and jet washing does not bring it on.

The rest is clear enough so here goes

First it may be that it is a electrical issue and is getting wet. The fact that it starts up shortly after a water crossing at times indicates one of two things to me.

1: Water is getting into the electrical and shorting things out

2: You mention you spray WD into or around the cap and it helps somewhat.

WD is a water dispersement and it will clean out any residual water collected in the cap, Thus the somewhat helps.

This also indicates that you are getting water into something that is not necessarily getting into when washing or some creek passings.

Look at the CDI unit very closely for any rust or indications of oxidation. This will tell you if water is getting in it.

Next look very close at all your wire connects. Pull them all apart clean with a wire brush slap a little grease on them and silicon them water tight.

next look at the same time for any fray's in the wiring that can be shorting if water gets on them.

It really sounds more like water is getting into the electrical somehow then drying and all is ok. If that is the truth then your will see oxidation in the connections on inspection

Last Thumperfamily hit it real good.

The Cap may be in bad shape replace what the heck

Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Iain, throw it on the ground, and jump up and down on it.

Always works with my C50 ๐Ÿ™‚

HTH

LMAO

It only happens after a deep crossing, and even then after about a mile or so.

Thinking about it more, I'm sure it is down to water working it's way into the electrics somewhere, otherwise draining off the carb would help. The fact that it can idle but dies when the throttle is opened suggests something is causing the spark to break down under load. Is this more likely to be HT side of the coil?

I'll stick a new plug in it since they arrived today and check all the wires carefully.

Thanks

Iain