Washougal National

Just got back. think this is the last year going. Its fun but they just squeez you for everything. They are pricing me out anymore...and to add insult to injury they rout you an extra hour around in bfe afterwards which adds a rediculas extra amount of time it takes to getting home. For the amount of money I spent I could have some really nice add ons to my bike an extra day of riding.

Wow...that was awesome seeing that racing from 3 feet from the track! Got covered in dirt watching the start of the 250s. It was my first time going, but definately not my last! I will put up some pics either tonight or tomorrow; once I get them off the camera. I thought prices weren't too bad. We got some free Rockstars and free water with a coozie. Got some nice tie downs for $19 and BBQ sandwiches were $6. Subscribed to Transworld and got some free goggles for my girlfriend (she just bought her first bike, so I gotta teach her how to ride and get her some gear).

I have friends in Portland, so we stayed with them. Getting to the park was no problem, leaving wasn't too bad since I had my GPS and got around the big slowdown on the hwy through the town of Washougal.

I'll be going to Endurocross as well! I live like 10 minutes away.

Let's meet for a drink there!

Oh by the way, motocross is so much better to watch and be at then supercross.

Wow...that was awesome seeing that racing from 3 feet from the track! Got covered in dirt watching the start of the 250s. It was my first time going, but definately not my last! I will put up some pics either tonight or tomorrow; once I get them off the camera. I thought prices weren't too bad. We got some free Rockstars and free water. Got some nice tie downs for $19 and BBQ sandwiches were $6. Subscribed to Transworld and got some free goggles for my girlfriend (she just bought her first bike, so I gotta teach her how to ride and get her some gear).

I have friends in Portland, so we stayed with them. Getting to the park was no problem, leaving wasn't too bad since I had my GPS and got around the big slowdown on the hwy through the town of Washougal.

I'll be going to Endurocross as well! I live like 10 minutes away.

This was my 5th Washougal National over probably the last 15 years. I left early enough to get there ahead of most of the rush and left middle of the last 250 moto once I saw Canard had it in hand so I also got out ahead of the rush.

I really had a good time. I went solo deliberately so I wasn't bound to anyone to go one direction or another.....I could wander at my leisure and boy, did I get some cool vantage points.

Pluses:

-Open pits til' noon. This didn't used to be(I think). It was awesome carousing about all the factory rigs and I got some great closeup pics of Decoster, Dungey, Villopoto, Canard, Barcia, Tomac, Pourcel, Wey, Mitch Payton & Windham.

- The track configuration. As good as I've ever seen it. The high speed triples in the back corner before you enter the trees was IMPRESSIVE!! The start was much better too although Alessi would probably disagree (hee!hee!)

- Concessions. Always good food and plenty of liquids available for the hot day. Plenty of porta-potties all over the place and none overflowing!

- Friendly crowd.

- Improved access to all sides of the track, upper and lower. More tunnels since I was there last. Way cool.😏

- The racing. There's just nothing like being "right there" at the fence feeling a little roost and watching them catch some serious air.

Minuses:

- The town of Washougal. Right off the freeway as you go through town, there are 3 stoplights in short order. On race day, shut the damn things off and let the police move traffic. You get waaayyy more vehicles through, faster, with less congestion. Instead, 2 city cops and 2 sherriffs were planted along the river road with radar guns out. Nice.

- Event t-shirts. I stood in line for half an hour. Made the unfortunate choice of getting behind 3 different families with indecisive kids and paying with credit cards. Yawn! That was my fault though. My real gripe was the shirt itself. In the heat of waiting, paying and wanting to get the hell out of the line, I didn't check the quality of the shirt til' later. The material is about the thickness of a paper towel(seriously) and the graphics weren't sharp as in the display shirt. $25.00.

- The spectator area along the left side of "horsepower hill" that goes up through the trees. I love this area for the view and, on this day, for the shade. But the walking area up could use some kind of step like railroad ties to provide a little traction. In the loose, powdery dirt it was just steep enough to actually be slippery and I saw a few people of all ages slip and fall on their asses both coming and going.

Just some observations from someone who hadn't been in a few years. All said and done, I had a blast.

This was my 5th Washougal National over probably the last 15 years. I left early enough to get there ahead of most of the rush and left middle of the last 250 moto once I saw Canard had it in hand so I also got out ahead of the rush.

I really had a good time. I went solo deliberately so I wasn't bound to anyone to go one direction or another.....I could wander at my leisure and boy, did I get some cool vantage points.

Pluses:

-Open pits til' noon. This didn't used to be(I think). It was awesome carousing about all the factory rigs and I got some great closeup pics of Decoster, Dungey, Villopoto, Canard, Barcia, Tomac, Pourcel, Wey, Mitch Payton & Windham.

- The track configuration. As good as I've ever seen it. The high speed triples in the back corner before you enter the trees was IMPRESSIVE!! The start was much better too although Alessi would probably disagree (hee!hee!)

- Concessions. Always good food and plenty of liquids available for the hot day. Plenty of porta-potties all over the place and none overflowing!

- Friendly crowd.

- Improved access to all sides of the track, upper and lower. More tunnels since I was there last. Way cool.😏

- The racing. There's just nothing like being "right there" at the fence feeling a little roost and watching them catch some serious air.

Minuses:

- The town of Washougal. Right off the freeway as you go through town, there are 3 stoplights in short order. On race day, shut the damn things off and let the police move traffic. You get waaayyy more vehicles through, faster, with less congestion. Instead, 2 city cops and 2 sherriffs were planted along the river road with radar guns out. Nice.

- Event t-shirts. I stood in line for half an hour. Made the unfortunate choice of getting behind 3 different families with indecisive kids and paying with credit cards. Yawn! That was my fault though. My real gripe was the shirt itself. In the heat of waiting, paying and wanting to get the hell out of the line, I didn't check the quality of the shirt til' later. The material is about the thickness of a paper towel(seriously) and the graphics weren't sharp as in the display shirt. $25.00.

- The spectator area along the left side of "horsepower hill" that goes up through the trees. I love this area for the view and, on this day, for the shade. But the walking area up could use some kind of step like railroad ties to provide a little traction. In the loose, powdery dirt it was just steep enough to actually be slippery and I saw a few people of all ages slip and fall on their asses both coming and going.

Just some observations from someone who hadn't been in a few years. All said and done, I had a blast.

a company came in and applied a new dust control product on that path going up the hill, i noticed to it did not work as well as they thought it would, but i will say ralph huffman does try his best to make this event good for the fans. i biult that new section in the woods the night before the race and was pretty stoked that all the riders were having fun on it. ryan huffman tested it right after it was done friday nite, and i thought he was done for. he was so high in the air

rory sullivan shows up and gets 28th, pretty impressive ride or a retired old guy

Hey I rode with that guy once. Did not seem all that fast to me but it was hard to tell from as far back on the trail as I was 😏 Rory seems like real good people. 😏 Got my ass handed to me real good that day. :cheers:

Let's meet for a drink there!

Oh by the way, motocross is so much better to watch and be at then supercross.

Can't argue with that! Get ahold of me sometime before the race. I am not sure where our tickets are because a friend picked them up for us, but I think row 8 or so somewhere on one of the sides and lower level.