Barebones requirements to convert MX to SM.

So I just took my title for my 06 CRF250 up to the DMV. $18 later I have a regular motorcycle title. Another $35 and I have a license plate for it. Couldn't believe it.

I really just want to get a headlight and taillight on this bike. What would be the simplest/most inexpensive way to do that? Also.. can I mount street tires on my stock rims or does that look retarded? I have a set of stock rims laying around I could use. If not I suppose I will keep my eye out for a used set. Just had to drop $600 on new dirt rims because I bent the rear one ?

Thanks for any help.

Being a european, it's more a wild guess than an educated statement, but I guess you would need a headlight, brakelight and blinkers. And yes, SM tires on MX rims would look utterly retarded, if it's even possible to get it in those dimensions.

Can recommend http://www.motostrano.com for all your needs, they have pretty wicked kits to convert your dirtbike to a lean mean street machine. Good luck!

Well I know what I legally need. I'm more just interested in getting a head & tailight working on the bike. I also have a 1000rr front rim with a good tire.. wonder if that would fit. If not I'll have to splurge on rims ?

I don't know of too many people who *wanted* to go motard and were sorry to have bought the 17s. If you aren't going to be doing any crazy sport riding or track days, you can get by w/ the stock brakes. If you find you're heating up the (front)rotor too much, most rotor mfrs are selling the big motard rotors w/ a bracket so you can use your stock caliper.

My experience was that I blued my rotor pretty good the first day on a race track w/ a flat track rig (19s F&R). I ended up w/ 17s front and rear w/ a Braking 4 pot and 320(?)mm rotor. The stock caliper isn't up to task if you ride hard.

I have seen people spend a day on the track and not blue their stock rotor too.

But, if it's a motard you want, nothing will have the look or feel of 17s...............and it feels pretty sweet:thumbsup:

I don't know of too many people who *wanted* to go motard and were sorry to have bought the 17s.

But, if it's a motard you want, nothing will have the look or feel of 17s...............and it feels pretty sweet:thumbsup:

+1

I sent my extra hubs to Procycle and had them lace up some 17s ?

Try Sicass racing for headlight and taillight conversion parts.

+1

I sent my extra hubs to Procycle and had them lace up some 17s ?

Try Sicass racing for headlight and taillight conversion parts.

I like this idea. My stock rims are all bent up, but I think the hubs are fine. I'll send them out to get laced to some 17s.. much cheaper. Have my eye out for a 450x now... I want that electric start! ?

Is that $469 for the rims, spokes, nipples, and lacing labor?

Is the $499 for just rims and nothing else?

$469 doesn't sound too bad if it includes what I presume it does.

Not sure what the $469 is exactly, I'm assuming its for rims, spokes, nips, and labor.

$499 is for 2 complete 17" rims, (DNA hubs & rims, thicker spokes, nipples, spacers, and already assembled.)

$499 for a complete rig? WOW! I dunno anything about DNA products, but IF they make good stuff it could be a deal too good to refuse.

Wow

I just bought a new set of them for off road use.. haven't rode on them yet :/

Thought I would clarify the pricing from ProCycle on 17" wheels.

Rim 4.25x17 $250.00

Rim 3.5x17 $211.00

Rims were custom drilled for my hubs

68 Custom stainless steel spokes $132.60

68 Spoke nipples $$64.60

Lace & true wheels (on my used hubs) $160.00

Shipping (hubs to ProCycle) $20.00

Shipping (Completed wheels to me) $45.00

Total $838.82

Complete kits (Including hubs) run $1,000.00 and up (they did not have a kit for my XR)

Then of course there's the cost of tires, sprockets & chain, over-sized rotor and I put new bearings in the hubs before I sent them in.

So if your looking for a cheep hobby, I suggest taking walks in the park.:eek:

If you want full throttle fun then brake out the $$$$ and get the 17s. :banana:

Uh huh, these are the sort of numbers I was originally thinking.

The $699 number still isn't bad compared to the Excel wheelsets that were going for something around $750 for awhile. I dunno if they're still out there, but I remember an Excel rig for around that price. As mentioned by Johnny, you'll need to factor in the cost of a sprocket at least. I generally keep an entire sprocket/chain combo for SM use. I mentioned all the considerations regarding rotors earlier.

• 1 month later...

man ya should have called your local bike shop and ask them what they charge to true wheels.. i can get my rims/spoke kit for 530$, unlace my own wheels, lace up my stock hubs and have my LBS true them up for 45$ a wheel or so... then order my 320mm disc/relocator bracket of ebay for 200$...

530$ - wheels

90$ - true

200$ - 320mm disc

$820 for my 92 cr500 setup...

will have to pick up a rear 41t sprocket for 25$ too...

thanks for the info... just found my rim setup for the best price im gonna get... :ride::banghead:

If you're worried about spending too much don't ride and MX bike on the street, engine rebuilds aren't cheap.

Briefly, the bike doesn't have light coil so it only makes enough juice to run ignition. If you get a different stator with light coil it still won't have enough power to power lights at idle (will be very dim). IMHO the easiest way is to just get a pack of rechargeable batteries (12v cordless drill?) and hook up some enduro dirt bike headlight and taillight. You'll have to charge the battery after every ride.

Well I know what I legally need. I'm more just interested in getting a head & tailight working on the bike. I also have a 1000rr front rim with a good tire.. wonder if that would fit. If not I'll have to splurge on rims ?

SM wheels are designed for what you want to do. Slapping some street tires on your MX wheels wouldn't be ideal for handling characteristics.

We can get you a complete set of laced and trued Warp9s for $870 SHIPPED GROUND

That includes

Your color choice rims

Your color choice hubs

OVERSIZED front brake rotor

OVERSIZED rotor caliper mounting bracket

Rear rotor

Rear sprocket

If you want to order give us a call at 866-674-6788 ?

Thread's been kinda dead, but I am curious about a similar situation. In short, I want to find same size front wheel as the back on my DRZ400E (18") and put some sort of 80/20 tires on them. The wheel set would be 18's instead of a true supermoto 17's but I am not trying to race or be super cool. I really like the look/stance of a SM bike and ride mine as a commuter around town... but I have 2 miles of gravel road for a drive way.

Can I do that and just leave all of the other components as they are?