Sign in to follow this  

200 xc-w after wr450f

I need some input I have been reading just about everything that I can find about the 200 xc-w. I currently have a 09' WR450F that I have had for about 6 months. I ride with my family a lot of the time, but some of the time I ride with the guys and that is when I really hate the weight and bulk of the WR. I have never had a 2t, but from what I have read maybe the light weight and power is just what I am looking for. I am looking at a 08' 200xc-w used on Friday and need some more input. My previous bikes: 04' Husky tc450, 06' Klx 300r, now WR450f which I don't really like very well. Thanks in advance.

The best advice you'll receive is, BUY THAT BIKE. If it is in good order that is. You'll be sooooo much faster on it than the pigs you've ridden in the past!

Right, the wet wt. on the WR450f is listed as 272 lbs, the dry wt on the 200 xc-w is listed at 208 lbs, I have not seen a wet wt listed anywhere for the 200. Anyone know what it is?

Right, the wet wt. on the WR450f is listed as 272 lbs, the dry wt on the 200 xc-w is listed at 208 lbs, I have not seen a wet wt listed anywhere for the 200. Anyone know what it is?

that IS the wet weight, without gas! :smirk: and it rides even lighter due to it having less rotating mass.

It will never have the grunt of the big 4 strokes, but it's a fun bike. If you are used to the power, and like it, you may want to consider a 250XC as well.

Test ride the 200 and understand that the power is uber adjustable and there are plenty of relatively cheap mods you can do to really wake it up and change the power delivery.

Thanks for the information. I like the idea of riding a bike with great power to weight ratio. I have been wondering if maybe I should go for the 250 or 300, but they seem to be about 20 lbs heavier.

Thanks for the information. I like the idea of riding a bike with great power to weight ratio. I have been wondering if maybe I should go for the 250 or 300, but they seem to be about 20 lbs heavier.

my knees had me on a quest for a lighter bike with good power. I really liked my 250SX (same weight as the 200), but it didn't work as well in technical terrain.

MY 200 actually weighs more than the current ones, but still ride lighter than the bigger bikes. I will be hard pressed to decide between another 250SX or a 200 next time around.

ride it and see. ask about it's setup. jetting, PV, etc. these all affect the power output.

I agree with everyone else so far - dump the thumper and get the 200XC-W. Just remember during your test ride about the power characteristics - in stock form it has a avery noticable 2 stroke hit that comes on early in the throttle. That can be very easily remedied with a simple adjustment of the PV, a 46T rear sprocket, and/or a 9oz FWW (I wouldn't get a 12oz). Depending on your weight it will probably be a little undersprung/valved.

You have to change your riding style and be a little more aggressive than on a thumper, but it's all relatively easy. I think you will LOVE it once you get used to it. I probably won't ever buy anything other than a 200. To me its the perfect size, weight, and has an abuntance of power on tap. It's a really fun bike to ride.

Keep us posted on the test ride. I am looking forward to your report.

The newer 250XC's are about 10 lbs more at most. They ride heavier due to rotational mass.

i ride a 2011 300 xc-w , feels pretty light compared to my friend WR450

get a bike for your size . . . i couldnt be riding a smaller bike then my 300 at 6'4" i have both feet on the ground easy

Thanks for all of the input guys, I can tell I am going to like posting on the KTM forum. I am 5'10" and about 185 lbs. 41yr. Pleasure riding only, never raced and don't want to start. I just want a light bike that has enough power to get me in trouble if I want to:ride:

I currently have a 2007 wr450. I previously had a 2008 300xc that i should have never sold:banghead::smirk::banghead: I am now in the process of looking to get another 300xc or possibly a 250xc. the wr450 is a big fat girl compared to the slim handling's of a ktm 2 stroke. i miss it so i am going to buy another.

i ride a 2011 300 xc-w , feels pretty light compared to my friend WR450

get a bike for your size . . . i couldnt be riding a smaller bike then my 300 at 6'4" i have both feet on the ground easy

All the bikes now from the 200-300 have the same ergonomics up top. Light feel is relative. Of course your 300 feels light compared to the 450. Hop on a 200 and feel how much lighter it feels than your 300.

Thanks for all of the input guys, I can tell I am going to like posting on the KTM forum. I am 5'10" and about 185 lbs. 41yr. Pleasure riding only, never raced and don't want to start. I just want a light bike that has enough power to get me in trouble if I want to:ride:

You are perfect size for the 200. Just make sure you spend enough time on the bike before buying it. You are used to 450 power, which the 200 is not. It does have great power for woods riding however. Enough to get it done, but not so much it's intimidating.

I am the same age as you, weigh 240 geared up, and race B class HS.

Just ride it first. Can't stress that enough.

I am going to ride it. At this point I am willing to trade the power of the 450 for the light weight of the 200. It's funny how most of us tend to look down on 200cc 2t now days. I can remember 20+ yrs ago the KDX 200 was being ridden and raced with great success.

I am going to ride it. At this point I am willing to trade the power of the 450 for the light weight of the 200. It's funny how most of us tend to look down on 200cc 2t now days. I can remember 20+ yrs ago the KDX 200 was being ridden and raced with great success.

many view it as a pumped up 125, when in fact it is much closer in performance and size to the 250 than the 125. Think about it, it has well over half again the displacement of a 125, at 72cc. It's only 56cc less than a 250.

The 200 surprises most that ride it.

I've got a 200 and 450, and like em both. The 200 is so flickable, with good snap. The 450 is alot heavier but also more planted, for me it's more of a point and shoot ride, where the 200 alows me to carry more speed into a corner. Of course the suspension on both bikes are the most plush I've ever ridden.

One thing you might want to concider is the 200xc. I have not ridden the xcw so I'm not sure how much of a difference there is, but my 07 200xc seems to have just the right gap between gears.

I went from a WR to a 200 xc and I found I was faster and less tired at the end of the day, win win.

Just to play devil's advocate...

If you ride in Moab a lot (as your user name suggests), the WR will feel very smooth on slickrock next to the 200. The 200 can be skittish on really rough terrain whereas the WR is very stable, plush and planted. The same is true for the high speed sand washes you find in Moab. Of course, the WR's advantages in those areas are the exact same reasons the 200 is easier and more fun to ride on tight trails.

By the way I owned a 200, 250, 300, and now ride YZ450F. I like them all, but there are pros and cons to every bike.