FMF Shorty DB level?

a friend of mine with a ktm 250sx has a shorty and the owner of a track sound checked it at 107db at close to full throttle.Which was just as loud as the fourstrokes were being checked at. He has maybe 10hrs on the packing so maybe its shot? However when he first put it on i felt it was pretty loud for a two stroke.

Nothing scientific, but I have a titanium 2 (same length as shorty) that doesn't seem any louder than stock and not much louder than my turbine core Q. The tone is deeper and more "aggresive" sounding but nowhere near as obnoxious as a 4 stroke.

I've witnessed the same thing on my YZ250 back in the day. I had all three: shorty, platinum II, stock. The OEM had a different tone to it, but was not any quieter than the FMF silencers.

I don't have any numbers though.

Our organization (NETRA) tests bikes at 1/2 the RPM at which the bike makes peak horsepower. (there's a chart) We use a vibratory tachometer to find the RPM and hold the sound meter 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle.

I think most racing organizations use this method.

Anyway, our 2000 YZ250 tested at 96db with a freshly packed FMF Shorty. That is our maximum allowed limit.

• 11 years later...
10 hours ago, Flogaming131 said:

Welcher auspuff ist eigentlich lauter der fmf shorty oder der fmf powercore ?

Ein Shorty wird lauter, ein Powercore ist dem Originalschalldämpfer sehr ähnlich (Sound und Länge)

Meiner Meinung nach bringt der Einbau eines Shorty,

abgesehen von der nervigen Lautstärke, keinen nennenswerten Vorteil, eigentlich eine Abnahme der Spitzenleistung und Überdrehung.

Google Übersetzung:

https://www.google.com/search?q=translate+google&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA878CA878&ei=9IElYYsv5LeCB4-kiZgM&oq=tran&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYAjIKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzIFCAAQkQIyCggAELEDEIMBEEMyBAgAEEMyCggAELEDEIMBEEMyCwgAEIAEELEDEIMBMgUIABCABDIOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQowIyCAguEIAEELEDMg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARDRAzoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QM6CAgAELEDEIMBOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoLCC4QgAQQsQMQgwE6CAguELEDEIMBSgQIQRgAUOgaWNMoYM43aAFwAngAgAG4AYgBigWSAQMwLjWYAQCgAQGwAQDAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Edited by mlatour