110cc Horizontal motor

My grandson bought an '02 chinese quad. He's had nothing but charging/spark issues. We've replaced the rectifier and the CDI but still seem to have the same problem. Watching the sparkplug, it seems to loose spark strength. Is there any way to measure this strength. The CDI we replaced was literally melting thru it's casing. The quad never has been able to recharge the battery and runtime is about 3.5 hrs when there isn't any spark issue. At times it seems to run great but has spent more time in the garage torn apart. He's only 10yrs old and this is his first "bike" so he's relying on Papa (me) for help and all I can do is stumble thru this. I "think" we should just replace all the components and wiring in the ignition system to start from scratch but not sure. When the quad is running as it should be, like when he first bought it 2 months ago (except for the charging part) it performs great so it's mechanically sound. It's the automatic trans (no clutch lever) with 3 forward speeds and reverse. The starter is on top of the motor. ­čśĆ

What would you guys do, and how would you go about doing it??? Thanks in advance for your help... ­čśĆ

Well I would replace the stator if you can find one that matches the plug-in for the CDI box. But first measure the ohms resistance on the old on then the new one.

Good luck with it, I would start looking for a old Honda TRX70 he will love it and they are just about bullet proof.