yfz450 or raptor 700?

The 700 is a torque monster, so it makes a better trail quad. The 450 likes to rev, so it is going to be better for faster more open trails, the track, and dunes.

Personally, I have never liked the Raptor's ergonomics! It just doesn't feel natural to me (same with the Raptor 350/Warrior). While the Raptor 700 is much improved over the tipsy 660, the engine is tall and the radiator is up high, so the center of gravity is still needlessly high.

The 450 on the other hand, feel very toylike. It has a light compact feel, kind of like a Blaster on steroids.

The 450 will need more frequent oil changes. Other than that, maintenance is going to be very similar.

Edited by reconranger

• 2 weeks later...

The 450 is the better choice. I have rode both the 450 and the 700, and right now I'm looking to trade my dirtbike for a yfz450. It's low to the ground, very light(only 350lbs. dry weight), and it has good power. Also, if you add some aftermarket parts, it'll have no problem keeping up with a raptor 700.

Good article on why you need to change the oil frequently on modern engines with thin little pistons:

http://www.belray.com/scripts/futurearts.dll?CollectBinaryData?loc=belray&coid=801&moid=362&fauuid=ed745d99-f09e-4653-a490-7a515c844185

The issue is not that the oil "wears out", but rather one of the oil getting diluted by the combustion mixture (fuel!). Plus your engine and transmission share the same oil (unlike on a Honda 450!), so it is doing double duty. I would say that oil changes a max of every 5 hours is in the ballpark for the 450. Also a good idea to run a high quality ester synthetic oil like Redline or Maxima....

The other issue would be valve adjustments. I would do them at least twice as often than what your owner's manual recommends.