Need help assessing the damage of my hit and run.

My bike was hit and run a few days ago. The things that were damaged were my fill side radiator, radiator shroud, radiator fin, and the bracket that mounts the shroud onto the radiator (not sure if that's a separate part.)

Should I buy OEM or should I just search used for awhile?

My radiator was bent in about an inch, but there are no leaks, so I'm thinking the bike is safe to ride as long as my overheat light doesn't come on. Would you guys agree?

Also, does anybody have experience with the prices for these parts? What are they going to run me? Any other suggestions?

Here's some pics:

aed35804.jpg

e08179b5.jpg

55c5b612.jpg

Thanks Fellas,

Jere

?

No leaks = No worries. You might want to lookk for a bike being parted out with a perfect radiator. Or, if down time permits, send yours to a place like Mylers to made new again, cheap!

I would not try to straighten any of the brackets. Once they are bent, they will tend to bend again. Replace when you have a new radiator or a repaired one.

Prices all depend on where you get them.

No leaks = No worries. You might want to lookk for a bike being parted out with a perfect radiator. Or, if down time permits, send yours to a place like Mylers to made new again, cheap!

I would not try to straighten any of the brackets. Once they are bent, they will tend to bend again. Replace when you have a new radiator or a repaired one.

Prices all depend on where you get them.

That was going to be my next question. If whether or not I should try to bend the bracket back-- I'd really like to not to have my shroud sticking in like that. It looks pretty horrible.

So don't try to bend the shroud bracket (to bring my shroud back out) then?

Do you know if I need to find an 08 400 SM radiator or do other year/model radiators match my bike?

Edited by Jere

take your time and you should be able to find a part out somewhere for cheap. i have a buddy that has a 2002 z that has been trail riding for the last 5k miles with a ding worse then yours on the same side..not one problem

Yup, any S/SM radiator/brackets will be fine.

I know it looks a little odd bent like it is but do not try to straighten it until you are ready. A bad pull could tear a radiator. Hence rec'ing a replacemnet or straighten radiator and unbent brackets. If you have the parts, you can always give it a pull in the exact spot it was bented. Often things will pop back. But they will tend to dent again in the same spot due to weakness now in the metal at the bends.

• 3 weeks later...

After assessing the damage, I've concluded that my fill-side radiator and right radiator 08 white shroud need to be replaced. I sure wish someone would PM me and offer help.