UFO Reactor chest protector with Leatt

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my recently acquired Leatt brace. I think it would help to distribute the load away from the T-spine, which is my only concern about the brace. On the other hand I ride and race in the woods, so I like to have shoulder protection also, and this CP doesn't have shoulder caps.

How good is this CP, and is it worth giving up shoulder protection?

I bought an Omega a few months ago, but I didn't like a couple of things about it so I sent it back before riding with it. I think it is a better design as far as distributing the load goes though.

What to do, what to do?­čśĆ

Edited by Scrambler

Really the only reason I'm interested in it is because it's designed to allow the Leatt to sit on top of it.

I'm starting to think the shoulder protection is too important and that I'm worrying too much about the Leatt putting pressure on the T-spine in a crash.

I have been using the reactor2 with the leatt for the exact same reason, I think it would help provide a wider load path for the thoracic member. The ufo fits well, I'm 6' 150. Here are the positives,

The leatt thoracic member sits on top of the backplate, giving me a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm doing all I can within reason to protect the t6,7 area that has been a topic of discussion recently.

Now the drawbacks

The edges of the plastic are somewhat thin, and are not captured by any type of covering like other roost guards, this is slightly concerning to me around the neckline. In fairness to UFO, edging wouldn't work well as the unit must be slim to allow the leatt to sit on top without lot a of pressure points, I cut off the sharp plastic shoulder straps,( probably reducing the roost guards useable lifespan in half)

It's hot, air doesn't move through this thing.

There's a few screws on the inside that stick out a little,(there the lower pivoting member stop screws)

The padding inside is thin compared to other cp's, but then it really has to be to keep thin profile for the leatt to sit on.

You will have to wear the straps for the leatt over the cp or the leatt will slide around like crazy.

There is a significant pressure point under the leatt on the front of the chest, but then I have no muscle to cushion it..

The plastic feels a little flimsy if you compare to some other big name cp's

Overall I would have to rate this my least fav cp (compared to fox airframe,hrp flak,Troy lee etc) but it's the one I'm wearing because I like the design protection theory.

I have been using the reactor2 with the leatt for the exact same reason, I think it would help provide a wider load path for the thoracic member. The ufo fits well, I'm 6' 150. Here are the positives,

The leatt thoracic member sits on top of the backplate, giving me a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm doing all I can within reason to protect the t6,7 area that has been a topic of discussion recently.

Now the drawbacks

The edges of the plastic are somewhat thin, and are not captured by any type of covering like other roost guards, this is slightly concerning to me around the neckline. In fairness to UFO, edging wouldn't work well as the unit must be slim to allow the leatt to sit on top without lot a of pressure points, I cut off the sharp plastic shoulder straps,( probably reducing the roost guards useable lifespan in half)

It's hot, air doesn't move through this thing.

There's a few screws on the inside that stick out a little,(there the lower pivoting member stop screws)

The padding inside is thin compared to other cp's, but then it really has to be to keep thin profile for the leatt to sit on.

You will have to wear the straps for the leatt over the cp or the leatt will slide around like crazy.

There is a significant pressure point under the leatt on the front of the chest, but then I have no muscle to cushion it..

The plastic feels a little flimsy if you compare to some other big name cp's

Overall I would have to rate this my least fav cp (compared to fox airframe,hrp flak,Troy lee etc) but it's the one I'm wearing because I like the design protection theory.

Interesting review. I'm leaning further away from it and towards the HPR or Zero 7. The Knox Warp would fit the bill also, but it looks very bulky and hot.