KTM 450 EXC or DRZ400

I am looking for a new bike - here are my two options

Option 1) I have a 2005 CRF250X (which I like). I would keep the 250X for the dirt and buy a used DRZ400 for riding around on the street (short commutes, trips to the store and the occasional fire road).

Options 2) Buy a new KTM 450 EXC (street legal) and sell my 250X and use the KTM for dirt and street.

Both of these options cost about the same (KTM is expensive but I would sell my 250x to offset the cost). I do not mind having two bikes as I like to do the maintenance cleaning etc.

I ride mostly trails/ and the occasional mx track. I want something that is street legal so I can ride around town. Buying a street bike is not an option (wife).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I have never rode any of the bikes you just listed besides the drz400 and it is my dads and I have been riding it alot the last week because my dirt bike is broke down:( The drz400 is a great bike has alot of power and has no torque at all the suspension is very soft and it rides and drives really good also the bike is heavy but it is not that bad when you get rolling you may be suprised by the handling on the bike. The drz gets great gas mileage I know that I filled it up and rode three days on it and I have read before that it gets 50 mpg I don't if that is true but I have read that on here before. The last thing that I will say about the drz400 is that it is not a good motocross bike at all you can jump it a little bit but it lands hard also another thing about the bike is the durability is good on it the bike has been through heck. Also forgot to tell you that the bike that my dad has is a drz400e.

I would keep the Honda and get a DRZ. The KTM is really still a dirt bike with a plate, running knobbies on pavement with that power just destroys tires.

A DRZ with some dual sport tires (more street type) just makes more sense. you can buy a sweet DRZ for $3000 used and go ride it. Even a $6000 used KTM will have 125 plus hours on it and be ready for a top end in no time with street use. Bam another $700-1200 for that.

I have an EXC and only use it to go to the post office every couple of weeks, other than that it's 95% dirt riding.

i agree with everyone else

keep the X for jumping and more hardcore offroading and get the drz for daily use and light duty

the supermoto idea isn't bad either, depends on the type of fire roads you're planning on hitting with it though