ttr 230 with 11 tooth front sprocket and stock chain?

Hi, i was just wondering if an 11 tooth front sprocket would work on a ttr 230 with the stock chain i have a 12 tooth on right now and was wondering if anyone has tried this. or would i need a new chain for the 11 tooth?

You don't really go any faster with a 12, you just shift more. A 14 tooth allows you to be in first and second gear hooking up and accelerating in the lower gears longer. If all you are doing is inching your way through knarly rocks at 2 mph, then keep a 12 on there.

@brandon19 - I don't know how you're riding, but I do know this:

With stock gearing, first fear is next to useless for any real trail riding - the bike is past its torque peak at a jogging pace, and you can't carry enough momentum to overcome a steep grade or an obstacle. Further, with stock gearing, second gear is barely useful - again - topped out in 2nd, you're past the torque peak of the motor if you have enough momentum to really ride up or over tough stuff.

Going up to 14 teeth on the front and dropping a tooth or two in the rear gives you way more useful torque at trail riding speeds.

But if you're stunting in the parking lot at Hooter's, or just doing do-nuts in your mom's back yard, your gearing suggestion might be fine.

Since it's on topic, I'm running a 13/52 set up on a TTR 250. I mostly trail ride, and deep sand is a major pain the ars. First gear is useless. If I step up the front, with a stock motor, won't that bog that stock motor down too quickly in 2nd? ( 2nd gear is usually my go-to gear on the trails I ride)