2009 crf450r fuel in oil

i know ive read about this but cant find a sure fire way to fix it. i cant be the only one experiencing this. i love my bike its the best one ive had just want this to be fixed! any help greatly appreciated or input!

p.s. tampa fl here first post and ill be around!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have been searching tonight also. I have a 09 and it has about 10 hours on it. I change the oil at every 2hrs because of hearing about this on this site. Every time I change it smells of fuel but looks ok and cant really tell that it has filled up. I kinda thought some people were blowing this out of proprtion and it wasnt really that big of deal, until tonight. I rode it yesterday and changed the oil tonight. As soon as I started unscrewing the dipstick it was running out of the case. The bike ran fine and still does but this does suck not knowing exactly what it is. The only logical answer is it leaking fuel past injector while sitting. The fuel tank seemed really low, alot lower than I would let it get during riding so it must have leaked. I think I remember reading on here where some have tried new injectors but still did it.

I got one of the first 09's in our area and it has filled the case about 4 times. I just change the oil when it happens. There is a thread on here where someone said sonething about gas with ethanol causing it but I don't know. I do know my 2010 250 has been fed a steady diet of vp 4.4 and it has never filled the case!

yeah.... mine stopped for a little then started a little more... not too worried about it i am using rotella so its a pretty cheap oil change just think i should get more than a ride or two on a oil change ๐Ÿ˜

yeah.... mine stopped for a little then started a little more... not too worried about it i am using rotella so its a pretty cheap oil change just think i should get more than a ride or two on a oil change ๐Ÿ˜

I guess the fuel in the oil must very from 09 to 09 since I've been lucky enough to never have this problem nor any of the problems that alot of riders on here have had with their 09's, and I have 70hrs on mine. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.:cheers:

Anyhow welcome to TT!!! I'm also here in Tampa FL to. I'll be riding out at Bartow this Sunday so if your out there, Holla at me!!! I'm #70 that's all white..๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Also heading to Bartow Sunday, if the weather permits. Looks like rain!

Back on topic, I know of two 09s that have had the same problem, as well as an 08 RMZ450. They are not filling up with fuel, but there is definitely some making it into the cases. In all cases, they're simply changing the oil more often.

I guess the fuel in the oil must very from 09 to 09 since I've been lucky enough to never have this problem nor any of the problems that alot of riders on here have had with their 09's, and I have 70hrs on mine. Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.๐Ÿ˜

Anyhow welcome to TT!!! I'm also here in Tampa FL to. I'll be riding out at Bartow this Sunday so if your out there, Holla at me!!! I'm #70 that's all white..๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

awesome man! i ride mostly at sunshine! and race at dade. but definitely like bartow too.. how dry is it right now? i rode it mostly like jan - mar

Sorry to break up the bromance, but let's get back on topic.

Captain was right, this has been covered ad-nauseum. People get tired of seeing the same questions over and over, it's like you are being lazy.

So, here's all you do: Break in the bike with non-synthetic oil (Read: good ol' cheap petroleum-based stuff), and the problem will dissappear. Also, don't be a garage or pit squid and sit there and rev your bike up to impress whoever is watching or listening. It may be cool to you, but you are ultimately just dumping huge amounts of fuel into your combustion chamber with the bike under zero load and the rings have a hard time sealing under these conditions, due to rapid piston accelleration and such.

There, let's hope that's the last of this topic, but probably not!

well the 2011s are suppose to have a new injector soooo sumthing tells me that this could be the problem, soooo im thinking im gona replace it as soon as possible when parts avail...just as a precaution as i havent had any issues as well as of yet but i only maybe have 15 hrs since jan...its hot as hell here in the pan handle of fl and i seperated my shoulder a lil over a month ago anyway sooo wth rite?

well the 2011s are suppose to have a new injector soooo sumthing tells me that this could be the problem, soooo im thinking im gona replace it as soon as possible when parts avail...just as a precaution as i havent had any issues as well as of yet but i only maybe have 15 hrs since jan...its hot as hell here in the pan handle of fl and i seperated my shoulder a lil over a month ago anyway sooo wth rite?

This is not an injector problem, injectors cant leak unless there's electrical power applyed to them. They changed it on the '11 because they went to a 46mm throttle body, and the injector size is calibrated to this.

This is a ring seal issue.

well I can tell you what happened to my bike is NOT ring seal issue. The oil level was fine before I left my house, rode the bike for less than a hour and went to change it the next day and as soon as I was unscrewing the dipstick it was coming out. it was plum full. I am not a expert on these things like "got wings" but not a idiot either. I have a heads up outaw tt5 car that is pretty competive so I know my way around a engine. I can understand thinking people are are crazy and overreacting til it happened to me and I am anal on my maintance.

awesome man! i ride mostly at sunshine! and race at dade. but definitely like bartow too.. how dry is it right now? i rode it mostly like jan - mar

Well it should be great for this weekend at bartow since it's been pouring rain here half the day and I work only ten minutes down the road from there so it definitely got this rain as well. I've been racing the DCMX series as well up untill I got hurt 2 months ago... Actually this will be my 1st ride back on the bike so hopefully it goes well... Well come on out and twist some grip with us this Sunday if ya want...๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Sorry to break up the bromance, but let's get back on topic.

Captain was right, this has been covered ad-nauseum. People get tired of seeing the same questions over and over, it's like you are being lazy.

So, here's all you do: Break in the bike with non-synthetic oil (Read: good ol' cheap petroleum-based stuff), and the problem will dissappear. Also, don't be a garage or pit squid and sit there and rev your bike up to impress whoever is watching or listening. It may be cool to you, but you are ultimately just dumping huge amounts of fuel into your combustion chamber with the bike under zero load and the rings have a hard time sealing under these conditions, due to rapid piston accelleration and such.

There, let's hope that's the last of this topic, but probably not!

gonna be the last time i bring it up on here, obviously people that dont have this problem just laugh it off... there is still not a fix anywhere on here. but thanks for your input and we will see what happens from here.

Turn off the gas when not riding to reduce the amount of fuel that can enter the engine due to a stuck float or leaking injector. It's possible the injector needs X fuel pressure to seat the injector when dirty, so when running it may not be an issue and if it was you would know it by how the bike ran or didn't run? Common sense first, then spend money.