Looking for bigger dual sport

Hey,

right now I have an 08 honda crf230L. I'd like to go bigger but still absolutly need to have the dual sport ability. I've ridden a yahama wr250r which seemed decent and a ktm 250lx that was fast but not for the road. Some 450's look good but never ridden one, didnt know if you guys had some good advice.

Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want a real dirtbike that's fully legal the 450/530 exc/exc-r from 2008+ are hard to beat, and have a wide ratio that's good on the highway, but they have a low oil capacity, 15 hour oil change requirement, they are a dirt bike with tags, and high performance (corked up from factory, easy to uncork)

you can get lower service requirements as you go down the list of bikes, but the performance offroad drops pretty fast as you go down to something like a drz400 or wr250x/r

unfortunatly the husqvarna's do not have a wide ratio, that really hurts them on the highway

Husaberg 390/450/570 - same bike, same engine, different displacement/EFI/ECU map (maybe cam). Ride each and pick the one you like most.

I like my 570. Even going down one tooth on the front it still exceeds 90 MPH indicated on the pavement and does great on the technical trails I ride. A great all around dirt bike. Eventually I will get some SM wheels/tires for the pavement.

The 2011 570 is 50 state street legal. The other sizes and model years are not, so whether you can get them plated depends on your state DMV/DOL. My '09 is plated.

unfortunatly the husqvarna's do not have a wide ratio, that really hurts them on the highway

The TE610's (now 630) do have a wide ratio six speed transmition and are

one of the best true dualsport bikes out there. Reasonably priced compared

to their Euro counterparts. A little heavy but still a nice "do it all" type bike.

I do not consider a 630 a dualsport personally I call them adventure bikes, they are HUGE, way bigger than I would ever take on a dualsport ride that I do

if I was 6'4" and 300 pounds I may want a 630, but I'm 5'9" and I do not even want a 530

at the risk of fueling a certain someone's fanatical support of the Go Amywhere, Do Anything, Ride Anytime WR250R... he has nothing but great things to say about the little Yamaha.

Husky 630- Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is still lighter than a XR650L, and KLR and close to a DRZ?

As you are coming off a 230, I think a DRZ400 could be a great choice. It is by far the best bang for the buck. There are lots of good used ones around for under $3,000. It is something you could ride for a year and if you decide to move on to something else, the resale value will be about the same.

If you are thinking of something more top of the line, I would go with a 06-07 KTM 450exc. They are a great all around bike. This generation of the RFS motor is going to be as reliable as anything else. Having owned both, I think they are in many ways a better bike than the newer generation models (08-11).

the klr650 is a tank, I had a friend try to ride with us on one, that was not pretty, they are good adventure bikes, but dont try single track on one

he jumped his on that same singletrack ride, and the footpeg bolts stripped out of the frame!

the klr650 is a tank, I had a friend try to ride with us on one, that was not pretty, they are good adventure bikes, but dont try single track on one

he jumped his on that same singletrack ride, and the footpeg bolts stripped out of the frame!

I think that is a common problem on the big KLR... I've seen it 3 times

I think a KLR is a great adventure bike (possible best once you resolve a couple glaring issues *doo-hickey*)

pyromaniac (I think that is his screen name here) has ridden his on some pretty gnarly trails and done pretty well, but in general, they are a beast on singletrack... WAY worse than my XRL in my opinion for real dirt work, but outperforms it on Hi-way use

I am surprised there is no mention of the Kawa KLR, assuming the OP can fit on one.

Besides their popularity, I don't see them being a good dual sport. The Suzuki or BMW (XC) or KTM or Husky or Honda of the same displacement are all lighter and to one degree or another, in one way or another, are all better. The only things the KLR has going for it IMO is its popularity (hence a lot of goodies) and it is less expensive.

If I wanted something on the less expensive end, I would go for the Honda or the Suzuki before the KLR.

The TE610's (now 630) do have a wide ratio six speed transmition and are

one of the best true dualsport bikes out there. Reasonably priced compared

to their Euro counterparts. A little heavy but still a nice "do it all" type bike.

The Husky 610/630 is a good dual sport bike with a definite bias towards the pavement. It is significantly heavier than the Husky 510, the Husaberg, or the KTM 530.

It comes down to what bias a person wants. I wanted something light, capable enough on pavement to get to the trails without getting run over, and capable on the trails.

The Husky 610/630 is a good dual sport bike with a definite bias towards the pavement. .

Out of all the Big Bore dualsports (600cc or more) the Husky is the most dirt

worthy of them all. It really depends on the individual using it. For me it's

about 80/20 dirt/street. The majority of that 80% is singletrack woods trails.

It's not the ideal bike for that type of use but it does handle it surprisingly well.

The height of the 610 is more of an issue for me than the weight until you

go down then the weight is an issue.

In hindsight if I could do it over I probably would've looked for a 450 instead but I found a great deal on Craig's List that was in my price range at the time

and jumped on it. No regrets, though. It's a great tank, I mean bike.😏:smirk:

WSTrail7102010-1.jpg

I have a 2011 husky te 630 ...work great so far on anything I have rode..a true dual sport , and as far as weight ....in stock form..only 10 or so more pounds than drz 400 ...but way way way more power! The bike is a great dual sport...hard core woods machine.....nope , but does good none the less on the trails and handles the highway just fine to!

Is it worth the extra $$ ? ...I think so 😏

KP