yz250 or ktm 250/300 exc

I was originally set on buying a yz250 but there seems to be an abundance of great deals on ktm 300 exc's. i want to know which would really be better for desert racing in Idaho, lots of sand washes, wide open straights, huge sandy hills, and some tight technical stuff with lots of rocks.

Granted the exc is heavier because of the headlight and what not but does the extra power make up for the weight difference, is the wide ratio tranny better then the yz's, I'm new to 2 strokes so fill me in.

I own a 03 300 mxc and a 00 yz250, the yz is quicker but the ktm is faster in a drag race.

The yz is better in tight technical stuff where the ktm is better with rock beds, log crossing and hill climbs. I find that I'm much faster and more fluid on the yz . You don't feel the weight of the ktm as much as the size difference, it feels like it has a bigger cockpit. Their both great bikes with great power and great handling ..you can't go wrong either way.

I own a 03 300 mxc and a 00 yz250, the yz is quicker but the ktm is faster in a drag race.

The yz is better in tight technical stuff where the ktm is better with rock beds, log crossing and hill climbs. I find that I'm much faster and more fluid on the yz . You don't feel the weight of the ktm as much as the size difference, it feels like it has a bigger cockpit. Their both great bikes with great power and great handling ..you can't go wrong either way.

I like the sounds of that but how much did the exc change between '01 and '03

Very minor changes if any..the big change was in 04, I have a mxc and its a beast in the trails, the exc's are a little more tame for woods riding , but I prefer the the feel and hit of an mx bike in the woods.