1982 Suzuki PE175 Owners

I had a 76 pe 175 when I was a kid, and before that a DS80. Wish I still had the lineup of all my bikes in ridable condition. I hammered on that PE when I was about 13 or so, man it was so fast compaired to the 80 and I could ride on "the Mens" ride then.

• 1 month later...

Yup, I have a 1982 PE 175 going strong, but due for a rebuild this winter. You should be able to take look at a few photo's, video, links an owners manual to download. Suzuki Phil, I'm looking for some information too, at this point preparing to rebuild, the old manual I have and posted to share is good but not the same as learning from someone who's rebuilt before.

Edited by ShredderX
link to manual not working.

Yup, I have a 1982 PE 175 going strong, but due for a rebuild this winter. You should be able to take look at a few photo's, video, links an owners manual to download. Suzuki Phil, I'm looking for some information too, at this point preparing to rebuild, the old manual I have and posted to share is good but not the same as learning from someone who's rebuilt before.

To clarify, if you click on the blue highlighted "1982 PE 175" you will go to my page with my PE manual, if it might help. The highlighted "manual" is not a good link.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick "how to" or at least how I cleaned up the exhaust on my 1982 PE 175 with bad rust. I've basically made this a picture show since we all know how many words their worth.

This is my PE before cleaning up the pipe, how it looked on my bike.

bikebefore.jpg

This is the pipe pulled off. As you can see it has severe rust, actually it had rust under what remained of the original paint so I used a wire brushmounted on my drill and went over it to get anything loose up, but I did not grind it. pipebefore.jpg

Now there are a few products on the market for removing rust, I usually go with Naval Jelly (wear gloves and eye protection the stuff will burn you) and you slather it on as much as you can. Let it sit for a good 15 minutes. navaljelly.jpg

And after 15, I washed it off and let it thoroughly dry and then hit it with BBQ grill paint from my local NAPA store. I gave it a couple coats over the course of two days. pipeafter.jpg

So here it is back on the PE. Now I just have to work on everything else!

bikeafter.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all-

I just picked up an '82 PE 175 Z..doing a light resto on it..needing a speedo and kickstand, or preferably a centerstand. I bought a new PE250 in 1977, so I was lusting for another. I also have three restored SL125's ..K0, K1, K2..I have sanded the tank with a DA to 1500 sandpaper..any ideas how to get the gloss back? Gassing thru the tank can be a problem ,so no repainting. I plan to replace the swingarm bushings with needle bearings, front and rear brgs. and seals, new chain ,sprockets, etc..let's share some info!!

John Coryea

Malone, NY

Hello all-

I just picked up an '82 PE 175 Z..doing a light resto on it..needing a speedo and kickstand, or preferably a centerstand. I bought a new PE250 in 1977, so I was lusting for another. I also have three restored SL125's ..K0, K1, K2..I have sanded the tank with a DA to 1500 sandpaper..any ideas how to get the gloss back? Gassing thru the tank can be a problem ,so no repainting. I plan to replace the swingarm bushings with needle bearings, front and rear brgs. and seals, new chain ,sprockets, etc..let's share some info!!

John Coryea

Malone, NY

Keep going to 3000 grit, then go to polish, Mcguiers works best

• 7 months later...

Hi, Yes I have one of them, bought new in 1982 from Cornell Suzuki in Adelaide, removed all indicators, battery, multitool etc on the first day I got it home ( still have them in a box). Raced for a few years then put in the shed. The bike has never had a rebore, replaced the piston once, still original tank stickers but the side panels and guards have faded. Might get around to restoring it one day, they were good fun to ride!

• 4 months later...