1982 Suzuki PE175 Owners

I bought mine with bicycle handle bars and i was told it was for the tight woods riding , both the clutch and brake handles were plastic bike bike ones , 1 air filter was missing ,  the carb had a bad float and the bike gas tank was painted black with the headlight bracket. the swing arm bearings were bad too. paid $400

I bought mine with bicycle handle bars and i was told it was for the tight woods riding , both the clutch and brake handles were plastic bike bike ones , 1 air filter was missing ,  the carb had a bad float and the bike gas tank was painted black with the headlight bracket. the swing arm bearings were bad too. paid $400

Kinda wondering the one I found for $800 and he said it was 'mint' almost matched this description. I guess he was wanting to recoup his labor for his krylon spray paint work he did on the WHOLE bike, including tires.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to restore 1982 PE175. The last yahoo welded the shifter on and ruined the shaft. Even though all the parts sites show the shaft it is no longer available. Thumpertalk checked the country for me and there isn't one in stock anywhere. Does anyone know if one from a different bike will fit? My project may be dead in the water due to this.

I am trying to restore 1982 PE175. The last yahoo welded the shifter on and ruined the shaft. Even though all the parts sites show the shaft it is no longer available. Thumpertalk checked the country for me and there isn't one in stock anywhere. Does anyone know if one from a different bike will fit? My project may be dead in the water due to this.

I would think something from the Suzuki parts barrel would work so keep searching.  There's some Suzi fanatics that are on TT.  Worst case is find another bike with the same diameter shaft and have a competent shop cut and graft the new end on it and use the matching shift lever.  Good luck!

Thanks. The problem is I don't have a supply of old shafts to figure out which one matches (and it's not like ID and length are posted like with bearings to just search a list) so it could expensive quick finding a shaft that matches. I have friends with the machining/welding skills to weld my "foot" onto a new shaft but I need to find a shaft that matches first lol. I just read on an old post on ACRMX that the RM shaft is shorter too so I think the person that told me that shaft would work was mistaken.

Are there any cycle "recycling" yards around you?  Ya know, cycle junk yards...if so, they could maybe help.  I should have mentioned, keep an eye on ebay.  There are several guys parting out PE175 transmissions and they might even have one but aren't posting it.  

MotoLane Salvage in Illinois says they have one. Here's hoping it's a usable part, I am anxious to start moving forward again on this project. It's not going to be a full original resto but a very close to original refurbish. But the engine will be basically all new because I do plan to actually ride it with some friends that have 80's enduros.

MotoLane Salvage in Illinois says they have one. Here's hoping it's a usable part, I am anxious to start moving forward again on this project. It's not going to be a full original resto but a very close to original refurbish. But the engine will be basically all new because I do plan to actually ride it with some friends that have 80's enduros.

I do the same thing.  I don't "restore" anything as a trailer queen.  I do all the work to RIDE it.  Good luck.  I'd just hate to see the whole project end from a simple - yet hard to find part like that stopping you.  BTW- When you get it running, make it a regular thing to search your local CL ads for a parts donor. 

Thanks. The problem is I don't have a supply of old shafts to figure out which one matches (and it's not like ID and length are posted like with bearings to just search a list) so it could expensive quick finding a shaft that matches. I have friends with the machining/welding skills to weld my "foot" onto a new shaft but I need to find a shaft that matches first lol. I just read on an old post on ACRMX that the RM shaft is shorter too so I think the person that told me that shaft would work was mistaken.

I saw that bike on the ACR site

He built the perfect vintage bike

It's very possible a shaft from a RS175 may work

If it turns out a RM shaft is shorter you could get one and weld it to the inner portion of your stock PE shift shaft at the correct length

I can see the PE shaft being longer as the shifter has to clear the larger flywheel and stator cover

It's very possible a shaft from a RS175 may work

If it turns out a RM shaft is shorter you could get one and weld it to the inner portion of your stock PE shift shaft at the correct length

I can see the PE shaft being longer as the shifter has to clear the larger flywheel and stator cover

That was my next move if I didn't find a PE or RS shaft. I still may do that to have a spare just in case.

• Like 1

Also , the PE shaft sticks out of the case alot , could you use a RM shaft and a modern bent shifter?

According to what the guy on that ACR build said the "foot" is too short as well. That was originally my plan until I read that. 

I actually spoke to Motoduro UK and he said they are considering having shafts made because he gets so many requests for them.

Edited by AdvCoop

I have a 83 PE 175. Having issues with it fouling plugs. Hope to get to it this winter.

Bought mine off the original owner, he had the original bill of sale and registration.

Paid $800.00 for it and got a parts bike with it.

Could use some insight on where to get parts for it.

Edited by Peobrien

So far I have used eBay, online bike parts like BikeBandit, CheapCycleParts, & Thumpertalk (the shifter shaft was the first thing I needed that I couldn't get), and parts salvage. MotoduroUK has  LOT of PE stuff but you have to pay to have it shipped from the UK.

So far I have used eBay, online bike parts like BikeBandit, CheapCycleParts, & Thumpertalk (the shifter shaft was the first thing I needed that I couldn't get), and parts salvage. MotoduroUK has  LOT of PE stuff but you have to pay to have it shipped from the UK.

I've done that too-paying shipping from the UK.  It may double the price but if you need something - you need it.  One other possible source is Sportwheels.  Website is Sportwheel.com (no "s").  they used to do a parts search in their yard for you and get back to you.  Not sure they still do that.  It's a poorly managed "recycler" and when you actually find something to buy, it's double what it should be.  That's why they are choking on THOUSANDS of bikes.  The stuff is over-priced - duh.   

My experience finding vintage Honda parts is more favorable than what I've found so far in the Suzuki world.  There are less parts available, they are more expensive and the sellers of both NOS and used parts don't have much inventory, at least of what I'm looking for.  Even on eBay I've noticed a difference with less parts coming up for sale and the prices generally are higher although there are a couple of very good Suzuki sellers that I like to do business with on eBay.  I understand that Honda made more bikes than than most of the other Big 4, let alone the European makes.  Also, Mr. Honda insisted that all parts be made available for all Honda bikes forever, although that changed after his death. Are there any high volume vintage Suzuki parts sellers like exist in the Honda vintage world?

Edited by IAoffroader