2011 CRF450R - Not impressed

I have raced and owned a CRF450, every model from 2002 - 2008. I get a new bike every year but to find a new 08 is impossible. I have tested the 2010 honda and really didn't care for the feel of it. I need to replace my 08. Seeing the lack of changes for the 2011 CRF450 I think I will try either the 2011 yamaha or the kawi? Has anyone tried either? I ony race motocross, I'm a Vet Expert rider.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kawaski gave up some of there bottom hit yamaha has a hard hit off the bottom this works better for riders that ride 1 gear higher .the hondas works a lot better when the engine is built and has more power down low but is still smooth .i have heard the kaw works great right from the crate.

the hondas works a lot better when the engine is built and has more power down low but is still smooth .i have heard the kaw works great right from the crate.

i agree, they have terrible power delivery imo,they have a quick bark but no bite! i rode a friends bike with vortex ignition,high comp piston,doma exhaust billet cam and mild port work and it was unreal it felt like a tractor up to half throttle then a bullet after that it was a joy to ride even on slippery hard pack.

Yep, too bad they are made of crap and fall apart, at least the '09/10's I've seen.

Um didn't your tranny just let go in your CRF???

I really don't know how you could not be impressed with the 09/10/11 CRF after riding an 08 or older model. The 09 feels so light and agile its like no other 450. I guess if you want a new bike like the 08 CRF you could buy a KXF which weighs like 20 lbs more than the new crf...😏

Um didn't your tranny just let go in your CRF???

😏

Yep, sure did! I had a hand in some of that though, can't say as I "babied" it.

Doesn't take away what I've seen on the Kawi's, at least locally. For the record I love the kawi motor, still feels a bit big and heavy for my taste though.

😏

Yep, sure did! I had a hand in some of that though, can't say as I "babied" it.

Doesn't take away what I've seen on the Kawi's, at least locally. For the record I love the kawi motor, still feels a bit big and heavy for my taste though.

Hahaha there's no way you rowed that gearbox like anyone does on a 250 2t. That's how you don't baby a transmission:smirk:. Somethings up when your 450 tranny is toast under 100 hours. Sucks but I've heard bad things about every brand and they have some issue with something. \

As far as 450's go the Honda is the only one going in the right direction. It feels like a 250f compared to the other 450's. Power is not really an issue and shouldn't be on a 450 machine because they all makes lots of smooth power. If your bitching about a "soft bottom end" then you have other issues; go ride a 250 2-stroke and then come try it again! lol

my .02 cents

Hahaha there's no way you rowed that gearbox like anyone does on a 250 2t. That's how you don't baby a transmission:smirk:. Somethings up when your 450 tranny is toast under 100 hours. Sucks but I've heard bad things about every brand and they have some issue with something. \

As far as 450's go the Honda is the only one going in the right direction. It feels like a 250f compared to the other 450's. Power is not really an issue and shouldn't be on a 450 machine because they all makes lots of smooth power. If your bitching about a "soft bottom end" then you have other issues; go ride a 250 2-stroke and then come try it again! lol

my .02 cents

sorry, whats a 2t?

If you like Honda I doubt you will like the Yamaha... I hated mine and went back to Honda after 5 rides. The 09/10 is a good bike and yes... it is different than the 08 you have. But, once you stop trying to make it the same as your 08 and get it dialed in, you will see that its a great bike.

When they first came out I was still on my 08 and rode my buddies new 09. I did not like it so I bought a Yamaha... Great suspension but could not stick an inside line to save my life. Sent suspension out, swapped tires, different linkage... nothing!!

Ditched it and got an 09 CRF. Set rear sag at 100mm, swapped springs in forks (48´s) dumped the 742 front tire, remapped it and fell in love..... I would never go back to the old one now... It is different, but its still a Honda.

For sure the new gen Honda is different. If you went from riding only XR600's to a first-gen. CRF 450, you would probaly be freaked out a little at first.

That is the difference, to me. Going from the '08 to the '09.

Yeah, they put in fork springs that don't balance out with the shock spring, (you will end up changing one or the other), depending on your weight and experience.

But, overall this is a quantum leap that you will have to get used to. It's gonna feel different, but you get used to it and now EVERYTHING else feels like a big pig.

It's a little bit twitchy, but in a good way. Just think about changing direction, or moving the bike in the air, and you're there. And rail the inside rut like there's no tomorrow. Just commit to it and be confident and it happens.

It's like going from a Nascar to an F1 car.

Just my .02