mx rear suspension linkage / suspension geometry

I was just wondering if anyone on here has any input on how the rear suspension linkage effects the handling and the overall suspension of the mx bike.

I know that from an autoracing stand point your rear lower linkage on your mx bike acts in such a way that a suspension rocker acts on an open wheel race car.

I also understand how drastically you can change your car setup by designing "rockers" in such away that give your suspension a 10%, 20%, etc. rising rate versus running a standard rocker on your car.

I was thinking that if you start looking at the vehicle dynamics of the suspension from an engineering standpoint on an mx bike that you could design new rear linkage systems that could effect handling in positive/negative ways. I just don't know if anyone does this, or if its even beneficial.

I havent done much research on the topic, but i figured i would start here.

Also, I'm not sure if this thread belongs here or in suspension, but vehicle dynamics and suspension geometry usually boils down to engineering so i figured i would try here first.

Like i said, im starting from a clean slate, so if anyone has any good input at all thanks ahead of time. ­čśĆ

Modifications to the shock linkage do one or both of two things on a motorcycle.

• Alterations to the shock rising rate. Doing this without changing the ride height usually means changing both the L shaped relay arm and the length of the connecting link that ties it to the frame. Since you understand rising rates already, you should be able to see the effect pretty easily.
  • Change the ride height. This is done for one of two reasons, usually. The first is to make the bike sit lower for shorter riders. The second is to alter the steering geometry by tipping the entire bike fore or aft, thus changing the head angle. An example is the Storm link, made for steel framed YZ450's to steepen the head angle and improve turning. Changing the height with a link only will necessarily affect the rising rate also.

This question might be better placed in the suspension fotum. Would you like to have it moved?

This question might be better placed in the suspension fotum. Would you like to have it moved?

Yes, if you think more information could be gathered there then go ahead and move it.

I also have a question about mx bike suspension and virtual testing. I know track maps are used in autoracing as well as superbike racing, im not sure how effective that type of simulation would be in motocross though.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is any type of Matlab based (or any other vehicle dynamics software for that matter) virtual simulation that teams / factory's may use to test suspension geometry and bike setups in the MX world.

Thoughts on this anyone?