Master Link Roulette?

What are the benefits of installing the master link and clip to the inner-side of the chain. Master clip on the side of the chain closest to the tire. My friend showed me the damage on his case by his primary drive cog from the master link slowly working it's way out after his master clip somehow fell off. It was installed the routine way instead of swapped; meaning, his master clip was on the side closest to the frame when the master link goes by it. I asked him the obvious of course. Did you install the master clip with the open end facing away from the direction of travel? He said absolutely.

So I was wondering now, if his master clip fell off again and his master link started to work it's way out again, it would chew the heck out of the inside of the frame by the foot peg. He said that he would rather have it chew up his frame than his case again. Is this safe or a big NO NO?

A properly installed clip will not come off. So the side question is moot.

Many re-use a clip, they are asking for trouble. Some force the clip on and bend it in the process, also a big -no-no.

Personally, I never did like the open end type master clips. I like the ones that close almost all the way around the second pin. But ever if in the event one should throw a new clip, which is not impossible; but next to impossible, I think I would rather chew up the inside of the frame a little bit rather then run the possibility of cracking open a case.

If the clip comes off and the side plate goes, chances are the chain is going to ball up on the CS, and this most often results in a trashed case. If you put the link on like you suggest, ou will also end up with a trashed frame. If I were that paranoid about the clip failing, I'd rivet the chain. Finally, on the outside, you can regulary and easily check the integrity of the clip.

In about fourty years of riding, I have never had a clip fail. I have had chains fail, but never the clip.

If the clip comes off and the side plate goes, chances are the chain is going to ball up on the CS, and this most often results in a trashed case. If you put the link on like you suggest, ou will also end up with a trashed frame. If I were that paranoid about the clip failing, I'd rivet the chain. Finally, on the outside, you can regulary and easily check the integrity of the clip.

In about fourty years of riding, I have never had a clip fail. I have had chains fail, but never the clip.

Thanks William, I have never thrown a master clip either, but it is the riders choice in the end and their competence. I have noticed however; in my experience with chains, that the heavier duty chains tend to follow through the guide instead of balling up on the CS. Of course this is just a matter of luck once a chain goes whether or not it occurs at the master joint. The chain I have on now, makes my stock chain look like a bicycle chain when they are side by side and like I mentioned, I think the heavier chains tend to follow through instead of balling up. The in motion factor comes in to play and can possibly save the case. I think I'll stick with heavier chains from now on; but, if I throw one of them bad boys, I see dollar $$$$$'s in my future.

Ride On!

I like a rivited master link unfortunately they are only available on high end chains. They take a little more time to install but you do not have to worry about the clip wearing thin.

I was thinking about this possibility also.

What is that tool called that performs the installation of the chain?

I always forget the name of it!! It is probably so simple of a name that I should start wearing my head between my shoulders again!!!!!!!!

I should just get a case saver for about $30 to $40 bucks.

I peen mine over manually with a punch and a hammer, and someone backs up the other side of the link for me with a bar. The trick is to peen the rivet over in four places around the edge of the pin of the link.

That sounds like my kind of wrenching!

I have even made my own case splitter with leftover nuts and bolts and a few hardware supplies from the store (except for the harmonic balance puller shaped in a triangle) and looked it up on the web to put it together.

I'm disappointed though, usually when one makes his own tools a torch is usually involved. I didn't get to play with fire making that case splitter, I'm bummed!

http://www.exriders.com/archive/topic/309611-1.html