Painted Works pipe?

Just picked up a yz250 2-stroke. It has a Pro Circuit Works pipe on it.For some reason the guy i bought it from painted or powdercoated the pipe! WHY? He must have seen the surface rust that these pipes get and didn't know how to remove it.Pipe is in perfect condition and i was wondering what would be the best way to get it back to original...(sandblasting,glass beading etc.)

That paint will be baked on, and it will be a lot of work to remove. Commercial sandblasting could damage the pipe, and the home kits (like Harbor Freight sells) will probably not be very effective on something like that. Your best bet is a gel paint stripper, but it will still be a PITA. I would leave it painted, and get out there and get some mud and dirt on it!

Once you get the paint off, work the pipe down with some 220 grit wet/dry sand paper and keep working it with some 320, 400, then a 600 grit should do it. Now that you got the pipe worked down it should have a very slick shine to it. Now coat the pipe with some oil before you put it back on. I use Remington gun oil, but you can use any type, even motor oil. The way this works is like a old cast iron skillet, the oil will penetrate into the steel and help protect it from water, dirt and mud. However, you need to re-oil the pipe every ride and after every wash. As you ride the bike, the pipe will turn to a nice blued purple in the tight bends and a nice gold tone in the fatter parts of the pipe. You can even do this to a stock pipe and looks just like the a works pipe. Keep the pipe oiled and use a scotch-brite pad, 600 grit wet/dry sand paper or steel wool to clean baked mud or rust off. Good luck.

Bet ya never have used it on powdercoated parts

Unfortunately I have, I know it doesn't work on PC but he's not even sure if the pipe's painted or powder coated. Worst case he'd try it and it turns out the pipe is PC'd and then he's just in the same situation he is now, no worse off, just out 5 bucks. But I really doubt it is PC because that takes a special high heat powder coating, normal PC just burns off an exhaust pipe because it gets too hot. I doubt the previous owner would have gone to that much trouble to ruin a works pipe... but I could be wrong.

Personally I'd try stripper before resorting to sanding, but I'm lazy. Sanding will definitely work regardless of the coating.

If it's powder coated the best way to get the PC off is to burn it off with a high temperature oven. Maybe you can throw it on a gas grill? After that you can use a sand blaster to get the remaining goop off.

Unfortunately I have, I know it doesn't work on PC but he's not even sure if the pipe's painted or powder coated. Worst case he'd try it and it turns out the pipe is PC'd and then he's just in the same situation he is now, no worse off, just out 5 bucks. But I really doubt it is PC because that takes a special high heat powder coating, normal PC just burns off an exhaust pipe because it gets too hot. I doubt the previous owner would have gone to that much trouble to ruin a works pipe... but I could be wrong.

Personally I'd try stripper before resorting to sanding, but I'm lazy. Sanding will definitely work regardless of the coating.

Its a two-stroke. They don't get that hot. At least in comparison to a 4 stroke

I actually called the guy i bought the bike from.He said he bought the pipe brand new 1 month ago.He rode with the new pipe for about an hour the put the bike away.Next day it had a little surface rust on it so his uncle decided it needs to be painted with engine paint.***!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually called the guy i bought the bike from.He said he bought the pipe brand new 1 month ago.He rode with the new pipe for about an hour the put the bike away.Next day it had a little surface rust on it so his uncle decided it needs to be painted with engine paint.***!!!!!!!!!!!

It will come right off even with B-12 carb cleaner.