Used 06 prices

Guys I need your advice. I've found a used 06 yz250 for $2300. The bike is all factory and includes an extra rear rim. The bike doesn't look brand new the plastic is scatched up and it's dirty but nothing is bent. It needs new tires, chain, grips levers and alittle elbow grease. I went and looked at the bike and it started up on the second kick. I don't really know if that matters but I felt the motor before I started it and it was cold. The bike seems to run great just needs a few minor things but I've never owned a Yamaha so I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

If the tires, sprockets, chains, levers, grips, etc are all worn out then you can only assume the air filter, top end, silencer, suspension, etc are as well. Do you feel comfortable paying $2600-2800 for a 06? What the 06 in good condition selling for in your area?

Shoot, around here your lucky to find a 2006 less then $3000, I just traded my KTM for a 2004 YZ 250, really loving the bike! I would say go for it, the only bad thing about a 2006 is I don't think it has the SSS suspension (supposedly much better suspension) I think that started in in 2007. But I would go for it.😏

The Yamaha is a smarter move IMHO. I've had an 03 RM 250, 03 CR 250, 03 YZ 250 and now an 05 YZ 250 and it's the best bike out of all of them. Not to mention parts will be easier to obtain for the YZ in the long run because they still make them. Any of those bikes can be made to be good, but in stock form you really can't beat the YZ.

In my area it is hard to find the al framed yz's for any less than that. You can replace any worn parts fairly inexpensively. Look at the lower frame cradle for wear, the underside of the swingarm, and the chain guide. All of the parts you said look bad are parts I could screw up in one ride. If the overall condition looks decent you should be fine. With any used 2t bike you should plan on a top end as soon as possible. The stock cast piston can trash the motor if and when it shatters.

Down in the southeast YZs are getting hard to come by; everybody wants one and everybody who has one wants to hang onto theirs. At the beginning of the summer I saw a 2009 for 3500$ and that thing was scooped up QUICK! To get a clean 2006 you're looking at around $3000 around here. 2 years ago you were looking at around $2500 or so.

If I were you I would call Yamaha of Lumberton and see if they have any used ones on the floor, the owner's son usually keeps one around to ride 250A with.

I've only found a few 05 plus yz250's around here and most are going for $2500 to $3000. I'm looking at it or a 03 cr250r. Like I said I've never had a Yamaha so I can't decide.

ive had several of the 05 + yz250s and im on a 2003 cr250 and could not be happier...dont let everyone convince you that yzs are the greatest thing for every rider because i found out by buying and testing that they are not the perfect bike for everyone as most would make you beleive:ride: get the bike that is in the best shape for the best price and that needs the least amount of money spent on it:thumbsup:

Guys I need your advice. I've found a used 06 yz250 for $2300. The bike is all factory and includes an extra rear rim. The bike doesn't look brand new the plastic is scatched up and it's dirty but nothing is bent. It needs new tires, chain, grips levers and alittle elbow grease. I went and looked at the bike and it started up on the second kick. I don't really know if that matters but I felt the motor before I started it and it was cold. The bike seems to run great just needs a few minor things but I've never owned a Yamaha so I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

if i found that bike near me i would buy it.... 06 and newer 250's are non existent in the nw..... some dude wants $5100 for an 09 right now. 😏

I am a bigger fan of the yz than I am of the cr250, and the suspension on the 06 yz would put it ahead of the 2003 cr 250, if both bikes were in the same condition. Yzs are great bikes, but there is nothing wrong with cr250s either. 2300 for an 06 in your case realistically sounds like 3000 by the time you get tires on it and a new top end in it and all that crap. That is about average. Whether you get the cr or the yz, get the cleanest bike that you can.

As others stated, used YZ 250 are rare in many parts including mine. And the bikes showing up are purchased quickly, often for a bit of a premium. Prices higher for a certain year today than two years ago!

If I found an 06 in the condition stated I would not pay more than 2000.....but I know it'd be sold for $2500 easily. Good condition 06-2009 YZ 250 are going for crazy amounts.

All about supply vs demand. Sellers know the "I gotta have an 06 or newer" mentality is in high gear. And as other posters have said you should look at other brands. The 05+newer KX250 is a great bike with a little massaging, and I know a few who went to the 06 RM250.

There are options.

Down in the southeast YZs are getting hard to come by; everybody wants one and everybody who has one wants to hang onto theirs. To get a clean 2006 you're looking at around $3000 around here. 2 years ago you were looking at around $2500 or so...
Exact same thing happening here in MI, OH, WI, IL, PA, etc.

...Yzs are great bikes, but there is nothing wrong with cr250s either. 2300 for an 06 in your case realistically sounds like 3000 by the time you get tires on it and a new top end in it and all that crap. Whether you get the cr or the yz, get the cleanest bike that you can.
Wise words. 😏 :smirk:

Hey, thanks Dan. It's true though. About a month ago I came across a guy on the trail with an 00 yz250 that had about 20 hours on it, and it looked showroom perfect. Honestly, that 00 in perfect shape would serve most riders better than an 07 that has been abused. When I spend real money on a used bike, I like to hear words like "Original Tires", and "Ridden twice." I also always get a look inside the airbox. That will let you know what your dealing with.

Yeah I'm going to have to let that yz go. I went back and looked at it in the daytime and pulled the seat off, the air filter I don't think has ever been cleaned it was to the point of being rotten. I asked the guy what kind of oil he run in the bottom in and he couldn't tell me the brand or when it had last been changed. I'm going to take that as a sign and let this one go.

Yeah I'm going to have to let that yz go. I went back and looked at it in the daytime and pulled the seat off, the air filter I don't think has ever been cleaned it was to the point of being rotten.[/QUOTe]

I think you made a good decision based off what you seen.