42 or 43t XRL sprockets?

Hello TT,

I have a '94 xrl motard and i've worn out the chain and sprockets. the 17" wheel i bought is laced on a stock xrl hub and came with a 43t, i'd either like another 43 or 42 steel sprocket but i can't seem to find anything other than 45t+ on all the online vendor sites. after searching tt and smj i'm still having no luck. can anyone point me in the right direction as to what product i should be looking for?

p.s. i'm planning on using these with the d.i.d x-ring rockymountainatv sells for around $100, durability is my number one concern as i do close to a thousand miles on road per month.

thanks TT community!

-Sean

I was looking for a 43t for my 650l to give me a bit more cruising speed , after asking around my stock 45 is all there is . I was told buy a Honda tech that he can have one custom made for me from steel . Can't remember who he said tho , I just stayed with the stock 45

here's the info sheet for the stock sprocket from jtr:

http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=4846&p=

i guess what i'm asking is if there's an another sprocket for different bike that accommodates the xrl bolt pattern. i'd like to avoid alu sprockets because of the fast wear.

thanks for the replies, i'm sure we'll figure this out! ?

would 16-45 put me in the 15-43/42 range? that would give me a hell of a lot more selection for sprockets. i do like my case saver and i read that it won't fit over a 16t which if true is a - for me.

by the way cpt, i've read about your xr's and all i can say is ?

Hello TT,

I have a '94 xrl motard and i've worn out the chain and sprockets. the 17" wheel i bought is laced on a stock xrl hub and came with a 43t, i'd either like another 43 or 42 steel sprocket but i can't seem to find anything other than 45t+ on all the online vendor sites. after searching tt and smj i'm still having no luck. can anyone point me in the right direction as to what product i should be looking for?

p.s. i'm planning on using these with the d.i.d x-ring rockymountainatv sells for around $100, durability is my number one concern as i do close to a thousand miles on road per month.

thanks TT community!

-Sean

You can also go here http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/

They can make them to 42-43 teeth and out of titanium,,,with a lifetime warranty too,,expensive....but worth it...

I know someone who had one for sale,,are you interested?????????????????????????? not sure on the tooth count,but he said it was too low for him with stock rims

so it`s probably 42 or 43........

B

Hi, I'm running a 15/40 on my 89 XR600. 5th gear is just for cruising (60mph+). If anything its a little over geared and I may drop her back to a 42 on the rear to bring 6th gear back into the normal MPH range.

I'm using a 15t front sprocket so I can keep the case saver as this was important to me, however if you're happy not too then a 16t would be better as it'll give the chain an easier life.

As my XR is an older model I have M10 rear sprocket bolts, I've modified a XL600 (guessing the same as an XRL in the USA) to fit and its all good. Great little conversion and goes well.

I found no issues with getting sprockets in the UK, Tallon were very helpful as was my LBS.

Cheers

The rear sprockets for the XR650R are a direct fit, if you re-drill the six mounting bolt holes from 5/16" to 3/8". There is no need to custom order or use special equipment. A standard electric drill and a 3/8" bit is all you need. The drill bit will center itself in the taper of the XRR sprocket and the flat XRL mounting bolts will sit just inside the taper. I ran both a 42 and a 44 tooth on my rear and had just over 12,000 miles on the 44 tooth before the bike was stolen. The XRR rear sprockets are commonly available from 38 teeth up through 54, as I recall.

-Joe

would 16-45 put me in the 15-43/42 range? that would give me a hell of a lot more selection for sprockets. i do like my case saver and i read that it won't fit over a 16t which if true is a - for me.

by the way cpt, i've read about your xr's and all i can say is ?

a 13-14-15-16 x 45, will all work with just a chain adjust. A 16 is pretty tight, chain saver may not work, or it may need be to be trimmed.

well here she is, the new chain/sprocket combo feels smooth and going one tooth down surprisingly gave her substantially more legs on the highway. i must have been cruising comfortably at 70mph today which was a stretch with the 15-43 and a 150/60/17 on the back.

cimg0179.jpg

cimg0178x.jpg

nice bike. i'll bet its a blast to ride on the road. your chain looks like it might be adjusted a little tight.

thanks zx, it's a great all around putter for a big guy like me. nice and comfy. how much tension should i have in the chain? it's got about an inch of free play right now but i was assuming the chain would stretch a little as it breaks in.

the bike is at it's best in windy canyon roads, the narrower and windier the better, here's some action.

the best way to see if the chain is to tight is to, have someone sit on the bike(a heavy friend helps), and try to get the swing arm level with the ground,(this will be where the sprockets are farthest apart) there should still be some play in the chain. on these bikes, a to loose chain is way better. if the chain is to tight, it can lead to the dreaded counter shaft splines stripping, which can only be fixed by splitting the cases.