Sign in to follow this  

DR 650,initial impression

I took (Bobs on its) advice and went over and finalized the deal,

06 DR 650,in Blue,103? miles,$$4-thousand,Plate will be ready first of the month.since I rode my XR250 over to his house,(the best home motorcycle shop Ive ever seen)hes literally got more parts selection than some way bigger shops Ive been in.So I had all my riding gear on,he tossed me the keys,and said go for a spin,I rolled it out of the shop,battery had been on charge,so it fired right away,after a good warm up,I pulled away,rode it around the block a few times to get a feel for it,and then went out into traffic,All ive been reading about the DR says its got strong torque off the bottom,and mid range,so I didnt expect much,but much is what I got and some,this bike pulls like a freight train through the gears,and roll on power is excellent,It feels light to me,handling is

great,brakes are very strong,It has a strong almost dirt bike like HIT to it when it spools up.Looking over specs,I noticed it said wide ratio gear spread on this bike,I can attest to that,it needs open road to get into the top gears,and all the controls are firm,no slop,clutch pull very light,front brake has tremendous stopping power,with a light pull,I could not feel much vibration to concern about,Pipe is real quiet,However, I could feel extreme heat on my right leg,One of my first mods will be to wrap the head pipe with heat insulating exhaust wrap,as seen on Scott Summers web sight a while back,the seat is not so bad,but could use improvement,From what I could tell,in just about a 30 minute ride,the suspension felt pretty good actually,but this was only on the street,so far.Now comes the mods,

Remember,Im setting this bike up for a Panama to USA ride,,(A good GPS??)

So there you have it,(No more paranoia issues as Bobonit had to say)

Ill add to this as the miles pile up.:smirk:

Congrats and welcome to the club. Now, find the 04F0 GSXR muffler, get a mid pipe and be ready to SMILE. Massage the stock carb while you are at it. Big fun!

I noticed the same issue with heat on my leg on the exhaust side. Try pulling the choke back while rolling down the freeway. If this helps with the hotfoot thing, then consider re-jetting to a richer setting. DR650s ship very lean (federal import statutes).

Worked for me:D

my 2¢

And welcome to the forum DR_Ro... uhh, XR_Ron!:smirk:

Edited by BugsInMyTeeth

I use a Garmin 450t GPS on my DR. It has a lot of functions that adapt to off road use. The TOPO maps can come in handy and it can upload all the street maps you need. It will tell you where to get gas and tacos

I only wished I had bought the 550t. because it has a camera and the pic you take will mark your waypoint. It's very portable and mine is hardwired on a Ram mount that I custom fabricated to the bike with a quick disconnect.

Shop around there are a lot to choose from.

my 2 cents.

IMG_1314.jpg

Panama to US...awesome...welcome...

Do the typical stuff but just wanted to mention some recent stuff...wire the rear brake, get guards for engine sides, carry extra shifter and both levers, get new or delete upper chain roller and think about carrying or upgrading your rear chain guide as the stock one on mine cracked and I can't ride it without risking bigger chain issues...it's plastic stock...Aussie guys really set there's up nicely for isolated long distance travel...

Hey I dont mean to hijack the thread, but it IS part of the OPs question... I also have an Oregon 450. Im afraid to use it on my bike though because my old GPSMap 60c got vibrated into not working. Now any vibration or jar will shut it off. Have you had any problems with your Oregon?

And to he OP... you asked about GPSs... Ive used my Oregon for everything including moto riding (just kept it in my bag), and it is awsome. I love it. More robust and better off highway use than a car navigation, and so far it's one of the better GPSs Ive ever used. If it can stand up to vibration (and Im reading that it can as Garmin fixed the vib issue), it will be perfect for moto travel in my opinion.

I use a Garmin 450t GPS on my DR. It has a lot of functions that adapt to off road use. The TOPO maps can come in handy and it can upload all the street maps you need. It will tell you where to get gas and tacos

I only wished I had bought the 550t. because it has a camera and the pic you take will mark your waypoint. It's very portable and mine is hardwired on a Ram mount that I custom fabricated to the bike with a quick disconnect.

my 2 cents.

IMG_1314.jpg

my 2 cents.

IMG_1314.jpg

where did u get that steering damper i see there in your pic it looks dif then the one that procycle has.. is it weld on too??

I don't know...... I'd still be worried about that nasty old .001% of blown 3rd gear issue :smirk:

I don't know...... I'd still be worried about that nasty old .001% of blown 3rd gear issue :smirk:

Just don't mention the NSU or upper chain roller :smirk:

Thanks for all the kind words,Thank you to Bob,Im not going to get rid of any of my XRs,since I was able to swing the deal with out needing to. Now I need to get a few pics up,Im working on it.I dont even want to go to bed,Im so charged about the DR,Im worse than a kid at christmas.

my 2 cents.

IMG_1314.jpg

Holy cow,it almost looks like a small airplane cock pit,Woah steering damper!

thats not a cheap mod to have!I love the way your GPS looks mounted,Makes the bike look serious,Whats the light bar at the top for?looks cool,Very nice bike,thanks for the pic!

The Garmin on the bars has given me no problems as far as vibrations go.

The mount I made uses a basic Ram holder for the Oregon, and I took the old dog bone handle bar mount that came off for the steering dampener and flipped it upside down and welded a flat plate to match and pick up the holes to the Ram mount. Between the two surfaces is a 1/8th inch silicone rubber gasket like thingy.

The Steering dampener is a Ralle-Moto, Made down under were they are serious about DR's

http://www.rallemoto.com/home.php

With the weight of the DR in fwd motion it really helps it to keep the bars yanked out of your hands when you don't want it too.

The are made to fit the DR and no welding needed. I did have to scootch the speedo over and tiny bit for my liking.

The light gizmo is a KOSO voltmeter made from billit alum. I have it wired with two switchs. on/off & momentary so I can leave it turned off.

tom

I dont see the DR650 listed on the rallemoto site. DRZ and DL650...

I dont see the DR650 listed on the rallemoto site. DRZ and DL650...

Looks like their website format and prices have changed:foul:

Here is some more info and the U.S. distributor. Ralle-Moto is the manufacturer of MSC

http://bestrest.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Ralle-Moto-Steering-Dampers/10338105_7JDMZ#715014071_J77Zp

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-249-ralle-moto-suzuki-dr-650.aspx

I'm sorry to jack the tread, you can PM me with any Q's

tom

Thanks SkunkWizard,My plans are simple at first,Wrap header pipe,Airbox/Filter,slip on Pipe,Jet/Tune carb.

Ive got a long ways to go to catch any of you guys.Ive seen some DRs on here,and other sites that had some serious mods on them.