Moto Racing vs Bike Racing

Pretty funny. There is some controversy in the Tour De France.... One of the racers in the lead has a chain issue when shifting. The chain popped off the sprocket. When this happens it's a "code" to not attack or pass this rider but let them regroup and get back on pace. ๐Ÿ˜ This didn't happen. The 2nd place rider capitalized on the opportunity and took the lead.

The guy mis-shifted and blew it. Why should the competition let him regroup?

Just imagine all the drama between CR, JS, and any other rider if there was a set of unspoken rules like this... ๐Ÿ˜

Podium speeches would be classic.

Bicycle racing.....really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sflF00CDYjU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sflF00CDYjU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNSmU_zOyg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNSmU_zOyg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I can just imagine what was said (donning my best French accent...):

"Ey, messeurs, wait up. Zee chain slipped. Non, vraymont, I deed not do zat. Sacre bleu! Well, maybe I deed. But hey, zees eez no good sporting. Wait up, I have zee yeellow jerseey. I'm am, how you English say, Zee Queen Bee."

(ironic, huh??) ๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿ˜

I can just imagine what was said (donning my best French accent...):

"Ey, messeurs, wait up. Zee chain slipped. Non, vraymont, I deed not do zat. Sacre bleu! Well, maybe I deed. But hey, zees eez no good sporting. Wait up, I have zee yeellow jerseey. I'm am, how you English say, Zee Queen Bee."

(ironic, huh??) ๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿ˜

haha...thats funny! :cheers:

It's probably not a fair comparison since grand tour stage races like the TDF are not flat out races.

These guys are riding for thousands of miles over the course of three weeks and only attack each other at appropriate times. There's a lot of ethic and tradition about when it's appropriate to attack which is why there's contraversy surronding the stage inwhich Controdor took the Yellow jersey from Schleck.

Imagine riding every day for a month for around 150 miles and plan on "racing" (if your a climber in the mountains and if you're a sprinter at the end of the flat stages) during signficant portions.

The jury is out as to whether or not the Yellow Jersey had a legit mechanical or if it was a mis-shift and most are divided as to whether or not Contador should have attacked.

It's probably not a fair comparison since grand tour stage races like the TDF are not flat out races.

These guys are riding for thousands of miles over the course of three weeks and only attack each other at appropriate times. There's a lot of ethic and tradition about when it's appropriate to attack which is why there's contraversy surronding the stage inwhich Controdor took the Yellow jersey from Schleck.

Imagine riding every day for a month for around 150 miles and plan on "racing" (if your a climber in the mountains and if you're a sprinter at the end of the flat stages) during signficant portions

The jury is out as to whether or not the Yellow Jersey had a legit mechanical or if it was a mis-shift and most are divided as to whether or not Contador should have attacked.

Another reason not to watch it.

Another reason not to watch it.

Hey it's still sort of a free country. I can't stand golf, baseball, or pretty much any stick and ball sport. To each is own.

I've been a mountain biker for decades and have only recently become interested in road biking. This year is the second TDF I've watched daily from start to finish and I'm hooked.

Many of the people you all post about in this forum are huge cycling nuts and follow the TDF. In fact, most of the people around pro mxers are arguebly more into cycling in their free time than they are into riding MX.

So there must be something too it.

Of course you could argue the same about golf so it's moot.

Mis shift, blow the lead...

oh well.

Race 500 miles in a car and run out of gas due to skipping a pit stop, oh well.

Schelck had plenty of time to build a larger lead on Contador.

What if the same thing happened to Contador and Schelck got the 3 min lead he needed going into the weekend?

Racing is racing. You deal with the hand you are dealt.

Pourcel's bike blew up last year at Southwick, that arguably cost him the title to Dungey.

Hey it's still sort of a free country. I can't stand golf, baseball, or pretty much any stick and ball sport. To each is own.

I've been a mountain biker for decades and have only recently become interested in road biking. This year is the second TDF I've watched daily from start to finish and I'm hooked.

Many of the people you all post about in this forum are huge cycling nuts and follow the TDF. In fact, most of the people around pro mxers are arguebly more into cycling in their free time than they are into riding MX.

So there must be something too it.

Of course you could argue the same about golf so it's moot.

Yep it is a free country. People follow NeckCar too. Where do you come up with this statement:

most of the people around pro mxers are arguebly more into cycling in their free time than they are into riding MX.

Mis shift, blow the lead...

oh well.

Race 500 miles in a car and run out of gas due to skipping a pit stop, oh well.

Schelck had plenty of time to build a larger lead on Contador.

What if the same thing happened to Contador and Schelck got the 3 min lead he needed going into the weekend?

Racing is racing. You deal with the hand you are dealt.

Pourcel's bike blew up last year at Southwick, that arguably cost him the title to Dungey.

Sure I hear ya and for what it's worth, Schelck was attacking Contador all day, all the way up until that point. They were also in the raceable portion of the stage. Surely Contador would have sat up for Schelck had the same thing happened in a flat section.

I'm still very novice with following road racing but I say no harm no foul given the circumstances in this case. However, Contador should have just called a spade a spade and admitted he saw Schelck having problems and continued his attack instead of trying to play it off like he didn't see anything until it was too late.

Yep it is a free country. People follow NeckCar too. Where do you come up with this statement:

most of the people around pro mxers are arguebly more into cycling in their free time than they are into riding MX.

There's lot's of roadies in the motorcycle industry. Next time you're at a race pay attention to the socks everybody working around the pro pits are wearing.

I'm just saying that if people who share our interests are into something it may be worth checking out.

I used to dismiss road cycling as well but it's a great sport to follow and the conditioning it gives you is second to none... ...once you get past the lycra.

There's lot's of roadies in the motorcycle industry. Next time you're at a race pay attention to the socks everybody working around the pro pits are wearing.

I'm just saying that if people who share our interests are into something it may be worth checking out.

I used to dismiss road cycling as well but it's a great sport to follow and the conditioning it gives you is second to none... ...once you get past the lycra.

The truth is in the socks. What type of socks am I supposed to be looking for? I am usually paying attn to the bikes, racers, and tits and asses. All of those people wearing Fox hats and shirts and shoes must race MX too. LOL No thanks....I live in a cul de sac with 5 other families and 3 of them all do the road bike thing.....I do the MTN bike thing and have ZERO interest in it.....right now...especially if they have some bullshit rule like that.

The truth is in the socks. What type of socks am I supposed to be looking for? I am usually paying attn to the bikes, racers, and tits and asses. All of those people wearing Fox hats and shirts and shoes must race MX too. LOL No thanks....I live in a cul de sac with 5 other families and 3 of them all do the road bike thing.....I do the MTN bike thing and have ZERO interest in it.....right now...especially if they have some bullshit rule like that.

Yeah I'm not following you on the Fox thing. I just thought it was funny that you guys are making fun of roadies when most of the poeple who involved in the sport you're interested in spend a significant amount of their free time riding and following road biking.

You should borrow one of your neighbor's road bikes and take it to the closest hill you can find. Nothing puts your power to the ground like a road bike.

it is more of a sportsmanship thing and wanting to show that they can beat their competitors based on who is the strongest. Winning based on equipment failure is not seen as an accomplishment. I have been a cyclist (road, Mtn, Skatepark, BMlX etc) for a long time. I understand the ethics involved but I do agree that it is a race. BTW there is not a "rule" that a rider must not attack when a competitor has difficulty. It is not looked on highly though.

MX is not that much different in the respect that a winner wants to beat the strongest competitor at his best, not at his worst...

It should also be mentioned that there is no such 'code' in one-day races. This is something that only really happens in the 3-week grand tours. In 21 stages, nearly everyone has a bad day. If a rider soft pedals until his competitor picks himself up from a crash or mechanical, it's likely the favor will be returned later in the race.

How many of you did ride road bicycle? And how many did ride it in group?...If you ride behind someone or group it's at least 30% easier to pedal then when you are alone...There is no chance at road bicycle race to catch a group of riders if you are on your own. And all you have is your own 0,5kW of power for lets say 5-10minits...the front wind is your biggest enemy when you ride more than 30km/h. And race is 5-7h long like endurance race where anything can happen...that's why they wait for competitor if someone has problems to make it as fair as possible ๐Ÿ˜