used 08 motor for $1600... buy or no?

I'm running out of options and I found a 08 crf 450 motor on ebay for $1600.... but is that even worth it?

No, Unless you have no motor at all. And unless your paying a shop to do it all.

Its used so could be trashed.

Depending on what motor you have to work with now and what $$ You can afford.

But still an 08 motor for 1600$, You could probably buy a whole 08 450 for 3000$.

Edited by Live 2 Ride

you can buy a complete good running 2006 crf450r for 2k

who told you 2000-3000 $ ? That's gotta be full markup shop + shop labor

new prices, if you really did blow every main part up, short of the tranny

complete wiseco crank kit 226 $

athena big bore cylinder & piston kit 650 $ or you could do a wiseco and oem cylinder

complete new head with stainless valves is like 650 $ ?

If I had a really clean '08 and honestly believed it was a good motor with fairly low hours, I would pay 1600 for it delivered to my door. I would probably part out the old motor once I felt confident in the bike was good to go.

If I had a really clean '08 and honestly believed it was a good motor with fairly low hours, I would pay 1600 for it delivered to my door. I would probably part out the old motor once I felt confident in the bike was good to go.

do you like burning money too? You can get a spotless 2008 complete bike for 3000 $ all day long part out your old broken junk bike

do you like burning money too? You can get a spotless 2008 complete bike for 3000 $ all day long part out your old broken junk bike

So he sells his roller for 1500 and pitches in another 1500 for a used '08, or he keeps his bike and pitches in 1500 for a motor where he can then recoup some coin by parting out his blown motor on fleabay. How is that worse? How is that burning money? It sound fiscally advantageous to me, what am I missing?

So he sells his roller for 1500 and pitches in another 1500 for a used '08, or he keeps his bike and pitches in 1500 for a motor where he can then recoup some coin by parting out his blown motor on fleabay. How is that worse? How is that burning money? It sound fiscally advantageous to me, what am I missing?

you did not factor in risk, I put zero faith in an ebay motor, at least building your own motor you KNOW it's a good motor

an ebay motor will need a top end job, probably valves too, that's just how it is, that's why they end up on ebay, there's zero on ebay anyway, most good recyclers will part them out, most end up recycled because they blew a piston

My apologies.

GoBollzD33P - Did you remember to factor in MegaDeTH's zero faith polic.y? I didn't realize the motor you're looking at needed a top end and valves, yes I now agree that 1600 is way too much.

ok guys this is the story.... i was riding on a paved road and was accellerating from 4th to 5th and i wasnt even WOT yet and i heard a tick sound and the bike shut down... i stopped and checked the bike out and what did i find... the crankcases were cracked open from side to side!!!! coolant was full and oil was topped up i really have no fricken idea how the motor just blew that bad from normal throttle... so now i got a guy tearing my bike apart charging me 30 bucks an hour to work on the bike and i thought i would just need a top+bottom end rebuild kit, piston, cylinder head, and new crankcases... which in case i would do right now.... but the guy called me yesterday and is insisting that i look at the motor with him first because he told me that the damage i'm looking at is $2000-$3000 dollars so i honestly don't know what happened to that retarded motor.... so then i'm looking at motors on ebay and i found an 06 i can pick up for $1050 and an 07 and 08 i can find from $1400-$1600.... you guys are the experts what should i do? in the end i lose cuz the bike is my brothers and it needs to be put back together before summers out and im just sick of nothing being done with it!!

I'm going to assume that you aren't comfortable doing the work yourself and that you don't have any friends who are willing to help you for free.

With that said you have three choices the way I see it. You can either buy a motor on fleabay and accept some risk, or you can pay for someone to rebuild the bike for you, or sell the roller and buy a new bike. I see an '06 motor on fleabay for 1250 to your door, you could then part out the good pieces on your blown motor and probably have the total cost under a grand. If you have someone fix your motor, you will be better off at the end, but it's probably going to cost a couple grand, I'm assuming you need both cases, a bunch of rebuild parts and someone will probably want $500 to do it all...I bet that comes to a couple grand. I would go the cheaper route and accept the risk. I don't think I would sell the bike and buy a new one because I see that as being pretty much the same as buying a motor on fleabay.

In all fairness, your brother should really split the cost, it's not like you drained the oil, taped the throttle wide open and went inside for a sammich.

If you do decide to go the motor route, I have a complete 470cc motor built by white brothers/tom morgan racing. They inspected and replaced everything. It is essentially a new motor. I am looking to get 2k for it. I have reciepts for $1800 worth of work (which i will provide for you before hand). I only put 10 hours on it and I got a new bike. If your interested, pm me and we can talk details.

Thanks Pete

get your motor back from the mechanic. pull it apart and see what is good inside, from that point you can make a logical decision what to do! right now you asking us a mathamatical equation with extremly wide spread variables!

good luck, btw wouldnt you rather spend the time to do it yourself than pay somebody to do it for you?

ISeriously boys I have mechanical skills to work on a bike quad and my truck... but nowhere near enough to rebuild a motor!!! If that were the case I'd have my ford lightning drivetrain in my supercab... lol.. and yes corndog I was talking to the guy with the 06 motor I got it down to $1050 that's why I started the thread asking if an 06 motor is a direct bolt in into my 08?? And exactly man that dirtbike scares the hell out of me I can't even catwalk I'm way too uncomfortable or technical but you throw me a raptor and I'm home!! It definately wasn't my fault but I was riding it So I'm responsible right... I think I need to just take the loss and buy a used motor...

Motor rebuilding is not hard at all. If you know how to A: use a torque wrench, B: Use feeler gauges and C: not loose parts, you can rebuild a motor. Its really not that hard at all.

The key things are is to have a good manual, keep the work area clean, take your time and have patience.

I've taken apart 3.5HP Briggs and Strattons before and just put them back together just by what seemed right to me and had them run perfectly. Beat the snot out of them too at 4500+ RPM (they were designed for 3600 max stock) on my minibike. I've taken apart a modern 4.6L SOHC Ford V8 in autoshop as well. I used to be mystified by engines and always saw them as hideously complex things that I could never work on - until I took one apart that is. I was actually almost disappointed at just how simple they really are.

the motor is already torn right apart at my builders house so i have no problem there... but really i've never ever tried that before so forgive me if i am too intimidated to tackle a $3000 dollar motor alone... lol, but really i have a bad feeling the parts i need to rebuild the motor will cost as much as yamaha600's used bored out motor and he seems more trustworthy than a ebay motor.

your kinda in a pinch of the cases are shot, thatll push the price up quite a bit, maybe your head will be ok still

can you take pictures when you get it back? i'm interested in what the damage looks like