Do NOT deal with Al Baker's XRs Only unless you have to...

Here's the deal. This spring, I purchased a billet XR's Only rack for my XR200. I installed it, making sure the bolts were tight. I rode the bike a couple times then noticed that one of the bolts/spacers had vibrated loose and were missing. The spacer is aluminum and is made so you can run a nylon strap through it to secure your load. So, I contacted XR's only to see if I could get the spacer. I talked to a guy and he said he'd send me one out, no charge. So, a couple weeks went by and nothing. I called back again and the guy said he had forgotten to send it out, but he would do it now. I wait a couple weeks, nothing. So, I call back and get ahold of a guy named Chris, he told me that the guy I was dealing with was out to lunch and that he would call me back when he got back. Of course, I never got a call back. I called a couple days later and finally got Chris to agree to send me a part, but I would be charged shipping, fine. Again a couple weeks goes by, no part. I call back again, and Chris tells me he sent the part out, but he'd go ahead and send out another one. Based on the previous service from them, I'm pretty sure he never sent anything out and was just lying to me, because again a couple weeks went by and I received nothing. I finally sent an email at the beginning of the week. I still haven't heard anything back. In the email I told them that I would be letting the people on the forums I frequent about the poor service I received, I hope this helps anybody who was thinking about ordering from them. They lost a customer in me because they couldn't send out a measly little part, even though they told me multiple times that they would.

• Like 1

I bought a fuel screw from them a while back. When I opened up the package and inspected it the anodizing on the tip was almost completley worn away, the numbers were unreadable, and the flex cable was frayed. I sent three emails askingwhy they would send me a part that was used when I bought a brand new one, I have never heard back from them and could care less if they ever sell another part! I should have just lit the 35 bucks on fire, it would have been alot less frustrating and hell of alot more fun!😏

• Like 1

Customer service is everything...don't companies get that?

In contrast, just recently bought a Fly Racing chest protector for my son. First ride a couple of the alloy screws came loose and were lost. Sent them an e-mail. Within a couple of days had a full replacement set in the mail no charge. Do you think I will buy a product from them again...YOU BET!

Seems so simple, not sure what happens for a company to get to that point. Sorry about your experience but thanks for the heads up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hope somebody from xr's reads this and understands the importance, I was looking at a new exhaust for my 88 xr250 and they were the only company I could find that still makes one. After reading this and searching only to find several similar stories, I wont be forking any money over to them any time soon.

There are dozens of threads on this forum about people having issues with them. Back in '06 I had a really bad experience with a lot of similarities as yours. There have been others that say they've had nothing but good experiences; but, I can count those on one hand's fingers. Someone said in one thread that since Al Baker no longer has anything to do with it, the place has gone to crap. It's a shame because they do have some good products you can't get anywhere else; but, I know I'll never deal with them again.

There are dozens of threads on this forum about people having issues with them. Back in '06 I had a really bad experience with a lot of similarities as yours. There have been others that say they've had nothing but good experiences; but, I can count those on one hand's fingers. Someone said in one thread that since Al Baker no longer has anything to do with it, the place has gone to crap. It's a shame because they do have some good products you can't get anywhere else; but, I know I'll never deal with them again.

Sounds like you can't get them there either. :banana: Douchebags.

MAX!!!

• Haha 1

I took my bike into their shop/warehouse a few months back. Not much hustle in the staff that work there. It took way too long for them to do the simple repair I wanted.

BUT... they were more than willing to give up free DIY maintenance advice & BS about bikes and desert racing in general. And they got a mechanic there who is a genius at custom machining. Doesn't habla much english, but can custom build anything for your bike. Their shop was filled with bikes waiting to have custom work, especially baja race prep, done to them.

I'm not defending them, just sharing my experience.

• 8 months later...

Xrs Only 👍 they are the worst to deal with !!,, my advice steer clear and never look back.. their service is the absolute worst i have ever dealt with , they never call you back and never answer e-mails !! the sooner someone else stands up and supports XRS the better.. the Owner of the Business needs to be ashamed of his staff, i hope they read these forums and get their head out of their arses.. :confused:

• Haha 1

If Al was still around there wouldnt be so many complaints about XRs only

If Al was still around there wouldnt be so many complaints about XRs only

Oh.. I don't know about that.. back in the day when XR600's ruled the desert. I sent my forks in on my brand new XR600 to be valved and sprung for my weight & ride style.

Came back feeling funky but installed and rode them anyways. After a few weekends, felt real bad and stiff. Thought I'd change to a lighter fork oil. Found white plastic shavings in the oil. Tore them down the rest of the way. Instead of replacing springs.. They put in cut off PVC pipe to act as pre-load spacers!! ***!!👍 Upon talking with Big Al, he claimed they were out of stock on the spring I needed and for another $150 he'd re-order some.. F/O I told him :confused: Then took it to Scott's Racing where I met George and he fixed me right up. George went out on his own and is now ESP Suspension and doing well and still taking great care of his customers..

SoCal

I took my bike into their shop/warehouse a few months back. Not much hustle in the staff that work there. It took way too long for them to do the simple repair I wanted.

BUT... they were more than willing to give up free DIY maintenance advice & BS about bikes and desert racing in general. And they got a mechanic there who is a genius at custom machining. Doesn't habla much english, but can custom build anything for your bike. Their shop was filled with bikes waiting to have custom work, especially baja race prep, done to them.

I'm not defending them, just sharing my experience.

You don't do your own simple repairs 👍

MAX!!!

• Like 1