soft front brake

A majority of us run into this problem, especially if you have had the chance to try the front stops on a Honda. If you want to want to tighten things up a bit, replace your stock brake line with any of the after market steel braided lines. It won't expand like the stock line, thus giving you better feel at the lever. If you do this, make sure you get a shorter line so you can route it like a honda. This set up works the best. One last thing you can try is to adjust your lever out more so you get more pull. I like my lever in close to the throttle, but for some reason this position makes my front brake feel mushy. I adjusted it out with the other mods and now it (almost) feels like the Honda stoppers.

Hi,

I know this is going to sound too obvious. I had this problem with my brakes. Squeeze and they were very soft. Could barely stop the bike. I did all you did too. Then I checked the pad surface and the disc. They were very dirty. 🙂

Run your finger on the surface of the pad and the disc. If anything comes off on your finger they need a serious cleaning.

Use heavy duty brake cleaner and a wire brush on the pads. For the disc, again, heavy duty brake cleaner and a VERY clean rag, pinch the disc and rotate the tire. Do the finger test. Repeat this process until there is no more dirt coming off on your finger.

I felt like a moron after spending almost 2 hours on my brakes, bleeding, fluid change, caliper tear down and it all came down to dirty pads and discs.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies I will clean the suckers up to see if that helps(I have cleaned them but twice can't hurt) also on the braided line what is the lenth for the CR type? thanks for the info! ride long and prosper.

Sometimes all the air will not bleed out, no matter how long you bleed the brakes....well I give up after fifteen minutes or so......A factory KTM mechanic last year told me to bleed them as best I could and if it still felt soft.....then use a rubber band or a tie wrap and pull the lever in and let it set over night.....the air eventually rises to the master cylinder and vents......it works like a charm and has worked for several friends I have told..........