How much does this sport cost you?

I'm starting to wonder how much everyone spends on this sport. For example how much did your bike cost you? Your gear? If you hit the track how much do they charge you?

Bike: 03 KX100 $1100

Track: Costs $20 bucks a ride. Too expensive for me

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new bike every other year, fully setup around 8k

member at a ama sanctioned track 50 bucks a year in dues- ride there 3-4 times a week

ride elsewhere 4-6 times a month 120-150 dollars

gas just for the bike and transportation to and from the track 100 bucks a week (used to be alot more until i traded in my truck for a Pontiac vibe and a trailer)

maintenance for the bike 100-400 a month

additional health insurance 50 dollars a month

I think that about covers it.

02 cr250 - 2100

rebuilt rear wheel- 200

loadrite bike trailer - 200 (sweet deal)

Gear -400 (about to spend another 600 on boots and a neck brace)

Misc transportation, fluids, parts, gas, track fees ~ 600

broken ankle- havent gotten the bill yet, thank goodness for insurance

Enjoyement I get from it: WORTH ITTTTT!!!!

new bike every other year, fully setup around 8k

member at a ama sanctioned track 50 bucks a year in dues- ride there 3-4 times a week

ride elsewhere 4-6 times a month 120-150 dollars

gas just for the bike and transportation to and from the track 100 bucks a week (used to be alot more until i traded in my truck for a Pontiac vibe and a trailer)

maintenance for the bike 100-400 a month

additional health insurance 50 dollars a month

I think that about covers it.

Additional? you need a special policy?

I really dont want to add this up.haha

Bike every year 8K till I get it to my likeing

gear at a large discount is still around $250 for 4 sets

Gas is way more than I want to even know.15MPG if I take my truck or 7 with the RV/trailer.Way way way too much right there.

Additional? you need a special policy?

well my policy that i have at work has a 1000 dollar deductible, and 80/20 copay until you max out at 6500 dollars. A few years ago when i broke my leg it maxed my policy out 2 years in a row so i got hit with 13000 dollars in medical bills. So now i have 2 policy's(one from work and one on my own). Last year when i broke my ankle i paid absolutely nothing.

Last bike cost 4500 new in 1994 rode it pretty much for free exept for tires and chains and oil for 15yrs. Still have it! No track riding just trails =free exept for gas. Latest bike 2004 crf450r $100 flywheel weight/new chain sprockets $250. Ride ride ride. 2 new rear tires and one front $275 All withing the last year. Had to get trail insurance to keep the cops happy $160. Ride ride ride free trails! Basically $9000 total invested for about 20yr of riding. Ride once a week or so. Try to get gear for Xmas and Bdays! Wifey is great and family etc. Not to bad I dont think?? LOL

Did you mean $500 a year? If not, I spend $50 every time my daughter and I go to a track day. Why aren't there tracks like you have near me???

So far..

03 CR250: $2300

New plastic: $150

pants/jersey/gloves: $160

boots:$375

helmet:$360

hitch hauler: $250

track membership: $15

entry fee: $12-15 (1-2x/week)

pre-mix: $14/qt

trans oil: $5/qt (every 3rd ride)

Gas, pre-mix, trans oil, broken parts, maintenance, etc. I don't keep too close of track of my usage.. Is that what you're asking for??

This is basically what it's taken to get back into the sport this season..

well this is what my current setup has cost me so far, this is for both trail riding, offroad events and some mx, all values in AUS $$$

bikes

09 ktm 300-12'500

09 KX250F (secondhand)-7'500

rego for both bikes-$750 a year

fuel, including travel to tracks/events/rides-$$50 a week

maintainence cost's (which includes tires, brake pads, engine rebuilds, and everything that might possibly wear out) i've worked out to average about $5000 a year for both bikes (doing around 200 riding hours a year on each bike), that assuming nothing go's drasticly wrong, that's running tires 50 hour for a rear and 100 hours to a front, the 250F cost's alot more to keep runnign then the 300, i do two pistons, 4 sets of rings and a crank+bearings on the 250F a year, one piston a year on the 300 two stroke, one suspension service a year on the 2 stroke and two a year of the 250F.

Gear

helmet-500

pants/jersy-300

boots-500

goggles/gloves-500 a year

overalls for wet weather riding-free

camel bak-70

if i do an mx event it normaly cost's around $100 is entry fee's and licences, and around $150 for an off road event, i do around one a month of each so $1200 a year for mx events and $1800 a year for offroad events

now i keep my bikes until i cana afford a new ones, maybe 5 years, i'll change out the 250F after 3 though, and i ride with my gear until it is litteraly fallsing to pieces, i can't afford to be buying gear just coz i want soemthing new a flashy, i do not buy things for my bikes that they don't need, new plastics only if i mangle the only ones to the point that i can't glue em back together, no graphics, no "bling" until it comes time to sell em, then i put rne plastics and graphics on for the new owner.

if i budget in 15 grand a year for riding that about covers it for me.

The first thing I learned when I got into roadracing is to NEVER add up the cost, it is ridiculous.

Mine for MX so far, recreational track rider, no racing.

1998 CR250--traded my ATK605 for it, cost me about $45 in gas to go get it.

Service on the bike--$300 including new pipe and rear tire

Track time--$40/week when wife rides too plus $25 in fuels and $10 to stock the cooler with water/munchies

That's about it. If the bike runs solid and is pretty reliable life gets pretty easy. Racers will break stuff plain and simple.

How much has it cost me this year? How about all of my money. And if I made more money....it would still cost all of it.

I just can't fathom adding it up. Trips to the track or desert every weekend, repairs, entries, maintenance, food, gas, beer and wear and tear on the truck. It is a lifestyle for me, and therefor I can justify the amount of money I dump into biking expenditures. It is way past being just a hobby.