RM250 trans. help

I have a 2000 RM250,first gear slips bad you can start out easy but once you get on it it clatters reast of the gears are fine,took engine apart and everything looked fine,seems alittle better but no way can i use first gear, any ideas would be great. thanks jim

replace 1st and whatever else looks worn. replace all the shims and circlips as well as the bearings while you are in there to avoid issues again. The dogs will have rounded edges or scrapes on them. thats how you tell if they are bad. Look for bent Shift forks as well. You will notice scuffing/wear on the lower part of the arm. if its there, its bent.

Good luck

ya now that you mention dogs there was one slightly worn but i was focused on thinking i would see gears missing teeth or somthing like that.every thing looked tight and clean.I'll have to tear back into it.thanks

ya now that you mention dogs there was one slightly worn but i was focused on thinking i would see gears missing teeth or somthing like that.every thing looked tight and clean.I'll have to tear back into it.thanks

There's a binch of Shims and bushings in there too. They wear as well and everything has to be spec'd out with a Micrometer. Trust me on this. I tried fixing only what I thought needed fixing. I did mine 3 times before I realized that it was fine cold and apart but when it was warm and spinning at 5000 rpm the tolerences were bad.

1st time I lost 3rd just like you mentioned. I took the cheap way out and only replaced 3rd and a couple of other gears. I never replaced the circlips in the tranny as I thought they were fine. 2nd time the circlip busted because it was supposed to be replaced each time you touch it. Again I only replaced what I thought was needed. 3rd time 3rd gear yet again. this time I replaced the bearings, the shims, all the circlips, all the bushings and the gears that were bad.

all the bearings looked good and felt fine but when I pulled them they had excess play and felt rough without oil in them. Very bad....

Most of the time you will not have any busted teeth with trany problems. Look at the idle gear (the one that is held in place by c-clips and just spins on the shaft) and look at the slider gears (ones that the shift fork move left and right to change gears), now look for any shiny areas inside the gears, on the dogs of the slider gear any shiny or blued shift fork arms. You got to realy inspect every part to get 100% of the problem fixed. I know, its a pain and it digs deep in the pocket book. Good luck.

tore back into it,found the back side of first gear worn and i think it's fifth gear that slides into it with dog ears worn also and the one shift fork slightly worn that slides that gear.about 150.00 in parts.