Introducing myself, and some jetting questions

First of all I'd like to say thanks for helping my make my decision to get my DRZ400s. This site has a lot of good, useful information. I've been lurking around here for a bit and I finally signed up a few days ago. ๐Ÿ˜ I got my DRZ about a month ago and I love it. Infact I just got back from a 50 mile ride. I read the FAQ's and plan on doing loctite fixes soon. My single complaint is power. The reason I want a little more out if the engine after only a few hundred miles is I have been riding an LTZ400 for the past two years, and sometimes it feels like I'm riding the same bike. I want my DRZ to have a little more spunk, at least so I can distinguish the difference between the quad and bike! After reading around here and meeting someone from TT in person, I hear the 3x3 mod and MRD Exhaust is the way to go, and that it completely changes the bike. I have been hesitating on ordering because of a few questions I hope you guys can help me out with.

What I'm looking to accomplish: Add MRD Full Exhaust, 3x3 Mod, Carb Rejetting

1. Is this ALL I will need for the ReJetting? Are there any other parts I need?

JD Jet Kit, Keintech Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

2. The MRD/SSW is what I'm leaning towards, but on their website it says it works well on "near stock" engines. Does this mean it won't run well on my currently, completely stock engine (besides rejetting, which I will do)?

3. I dont plan on adding any other engine parts, so should I bother with the SSW version or go for the standard? (Noise isn't too much of a concern)

4. What jets should I put in with the MRD(SSW?) Pipe and 3x3 Mod?

Main:

PJ:

Fuel Screw:

Needle&clip:

Alt: 0-2000ft

Sorry for the novel of a post and boat load of questions! I'm an amature mechanic and really want to get this right the first time. Thanks for any help!๐Ÿ˜

Edited by Linebacker

1.yes,the jd jet kit is a well designed kit and the most complete on the market.

2.works well on any bike.

3.the ssw version will give you the biggest performance bang for the buck for the drz on the market today specifically designed for optimal performance.well worth the extra few bucks.

4. follow the excellent instructions in the jd kit.if you run the extended fuel screw keep the stock 22.5 pilot jet.the 25 pilot jet in the kit works best with the stock fuel screw under most circumstances.if you run the mrd/ssw system open the 160 main jet is a good place to start.ensure the airbox hole is exactly 3"x3" so to get a good baseline for future tuning.

First of all I'd like to say thanks for helping my make my decision to get my DRZ400s. This site has a lot of good, useful information. I've been lurking around here for a bit and I finally signed up a few days ago. ๐Ÿ˜ I got my DRZ about a month ago and I love it. Infact I just got back from a 50 mile ride. I read the FAQ's and plan on doing loctite fixes soon. My single complaint is power. The reason I want a little more out if the engine after only a few hundred miles is I have been riding an LTZ400 for the past two years, and sometimes it feels like I'm riding the same bike. I want my DRZ to have a little more spunk, at least so I can distinguish the difference between the quad and bike! After reading around here and meeting someone from TT in person, I hear the 3x3 mod and MRD Exhaust is the way to go, and that it completely changes the bike. I have been hesitating on ordering because of a few questions I hope you guys can help me out with.

What I'm looking to accomplish: Add MRD Full Exhaust, 3x3 Mod, Carb Rejetting

1. Is this ALL I will need for the ReJetting? Are there any other parts I need?

JD Jet Kit, Keintech Extended Fuel Mixture Screw

2. The MRD/SSW is what I'm leaning towards, but on their website it says it works well on "near stock" engines. Does this mean it won't run well on my currently, completely stock engine (besides rejetting, which I will do)?

3. I dont plan on adding any other engine parts, so should I bother with the SSW version or go for the standard? (Noise isn't too much of a concern)

4. What jets should I put in with the MRD(SSW?) Pipe and 3x3 Mod?

Main:

PJ:

Fuel Screw:

Needle&clip:

Alt: 0-2000ft

Sorry for the novel of a post and boat load of questions! I'm an amature mechanic and really want to get this right the first time. Thanks for any help!๐Ÿ˜

The addition of a MRD is a good idea ,but your not going to gain much HP by feeding your powerplant with the std mikuni carb....maybe 1hp..

Personally I wouldn't waste my $ on the mikuni..

However,you will get 4 to 5hp if your install a Keihin 39mmFCRMX....

TT sell a Keihin 39mmFCRMX conversion kit ...It includes everything your need for the install...There are fitting instructions and jetting advice posted on the link,as well....

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=INT%5FKEIHIN%5FDRZFCRMX

Cheers,Craig

I was looking at that carb and heard good things about it. I'll have to take it into consideration. Ya know, when I got my DRZ I thought the huge aftermarket following was going to be a good thing, little did I know it would run my wallet dry. ๐Ÿ˜

Can you run the keihin carb with an IMS or Clarke tank without any interference? I am thinking about getting one for the extra range.

I run a 41FCRmx and have a 3.2g IMS..No clearance issues..๐Ÿ˜

Bike is 09 SM

Also ,my 2010 E has the 39mm Slant Body FCR and I have a 3.2g IMS fitted with no clearance issues...๐Ÿ˜

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

The addition of a MRD is a good idea ,but your not going to gain much HP by feeding your powerplant with the std mikuni carb....maybe 1hp..

Really only 1HP? Do you think the pipe and rejet is even worth the price tag then? Bike funds are limited and I can't afford both the carb and pipe.

Went to the shop today and asked about the FCR CARB. He highly recommended against it, as it would run like garbage with an increase in sea level. He wants me to definitely go with jetting the original carb. Said if I was doing dirt riding, then the FCR carb is the way to go. Didn't really get his rationale, but that's what was said.

Very confusing when you depend on others to do the work for you because no one seems to understand these bikes the way posters here do.

Frustrating.

Very confusing when you depend on others to do the work for you because no one seems to understand these bikes the way posters here do.

Frustrating.

This is part of the reason I am actually looking to do the rejet myself. Generally I would take my bike to a shop to get it professionally done, but with TT as a safty net I can work on my bike myself and gain some mechanical experience.

Went to the shop today and asked about the FCR CARB. He highly recommended against it, as it would run like garbage with an increase in sea level. He wants me to definitely go with jetting the original carb. Said if I was doing dirt riding, then the FCR carb is the way to go. Didn't really get his rationale, but that's what was said.

Frustrating.

That guy obviously has no clue about adapting the FCR to the S/SM. It is a great mod! The E model came with the FCR from the factory!

You'll get the best advice about these bikes from right here. ๐Ÿ˜

Frustrating.

the stock mikuni bsr36 cv carburetor was used for only one reason..emissions,not performance.yes you can rejet the carb to get the bike running much better but you can only go so far in regard to throttle response with a constant vacuum type carb.

the fcrmx carburetor conversion and 3x3 airbox modification merely emulate the performance of the off-road e model of years ago.you're not adding anything that the motor was not designed to handle as it was originally conceived.

Frustrating.

The mechanic at that shop is very scary...

He definately hasn't got any idea about performance tunning..

Indeed ,must be very frustrating for you..๐Ÿ˜

Hey man based on my own experience i did first the re-jetting on the carb. that was great i have to say but the bike stills is missing something. I did save money and i got the Keihin FCR 39 MX from e-bay (some people says good choice some says bad choice ) . The TT Keihin FCR has everything what you need to know regarding performance and tuning of the carb. on the othe hand my carb does not have and i need a mechanic to run it on a Dyno center to fix it. As an advice you should get the TT FCR and not waste the money to get the JD jet pack... Final word is on you

regards from Cyprus-EU , I used to live in NJ ๐Ÿ˜ Jersey City

This is part of the reason I am actually looking to do the rejet myself. Generally I would take my bike to a shop to get it professionally done, but with TT as a safty net I can work on my bike myself and gain some mechanical experience.

Yeah I'm still weighing the pros and cons of each. I think eventually I will have both, its just a matter of which order I get them in. At the moment I have to keep the $$ spending to a minimum.

Thats a hell of a move! Dirty Jersey ๐Ÿ˜

hehehehehe this is what i was doing :ride: saving $$$ ๐Ÿ˜ i got my FCR for like $350 plus shipping that came out like $380 as i remember.

I had a good time man in Jersey๐Ÿคฃ i wanna come back :cheers: miss my friends๐Ÿคฃ

Yeah I'm still weighing the pros and cons of each. I think eventually I will have both, its just a matter of which order I get them in. At the moment I have to keep the $$ spending to a minimum.

Thats a hell of a move! Dirty Jersey ๐Ÿ˜