EFM Autoclutch Group Buy

Red,

When we get five to commit, we'll each place our orders individually with a group buy name to get the discount. So far we have three. I'll let you know when we are at five. If we get beyond five maybe we can get a better price!

Toy Hauler

Toy Hauler,

I checked out the website; it looks good. How will it work....do we each place our order separately and say we are from TT?

RED

Guys, we ask that you don't leverage the TT name. This is only because in the past the people that have been called couldn't differentiate between you being "you" or an offical of ThumperTalk Inc. The problem with the later is that we can't control what you say or how you might choose do business, even if you do business exactly like we would. To date, two unsponsored group buys have blown up in our face, requiring me to make a number of phone calls to straighten things out with the vendor. You also may call a company that we're in business talks with, not knowing that you may be throwing wrench in the works. Because of this, TT's official position is to not endorse group buys... Make sense? Questions?

Bryan,

Your point makes perfect sense. I completely understand your concerns. E.G.O. brought up a good point about the Z-Start. I'm not sure if Toy Hauler contacted you about a "group buy" for the Z-Start, but I think that's a good idea, especially since they advertise and are a supporter of TT.

RED

ditto on the z-start....Al & Co. (@ rekluse) are good folk. And as non-mechanical as I am, I can swap mine back and forth (auto to manual and vis versa) in about 15 minutes.

You still shift to get into a diff. gear, but the deal with the "auto" clutch is that when your bike hits the magic rpm, it goes into "neutral" so it won't stall. I guess these might also be called the "Anti-Stall-Dont-Need-To-Use-A-Clutch-Lever-To-Shift-Or-Prevent-Stalling-And-It-Auto-Feathers-Better-Than-A-Manual-Clutch-Lever" clutch.

id250f, have you done many moto starts with the Zstart? If you have how did it work? I ride a 450 and the only complaint I have with the bike is the clutch. It sounds like one of these things would be the wip. My only concern is whether I could still do competitive starts with it.

Bryan,

My appologies if I have crossed any lines with the group buy. Let me clarify for everyone's benefit that I talked with EFM as an individual, not as a representative of TT. In fact I never even brought up TT or another website that I have posted information regarding the group buy on. My inquiry orginally was to find out if there was a group buy EFM was aware of that I might be able to jump onto. They didn't have one currently, so I thought I would see about putting one together. Again, I want to emphasize that I didn't tell, or imply, to EFM that I would be posting information about the group by on TT or any other website.

It is a good deal at $100 off for those who are interested. When we have the requisite five, I'll email each person off-line with details on how to proceed.

Thanks for reading...

Toy Hauler

I have a Revloc (CRF) and an EFM (WR and YZ250F). My reasons to buy a Z-start on my next bike:

1. I would prefer the Z-start over the EFM because I swap the EFM between the YZ and WR and the Z-start would be much quicker. Also, the EFM spacer is huge.

2. My EFM suffers the same chatter/lurching/incomplete disengagement problem many people have with the Z-start on 250fs. Apparently the dry-sump design of the yamahas dont get as much oil to the clutch (my wet sump CRF/Revloc is smooth as silk) and Z-start has gone to great lengths to sort this out (I think the latest potential fix is Barnett CF clutch plates). By comparison, I sent Garry at EFM an email about my continued problems with the EFM and so far no response.

3. Cost

4. Z-starts external adjuster is apparently very nice, I have not seen it yet myself.

5. Z-start (Rekluse) is a TT advertiser.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mark,

I take it from your post you have personally used all three and found no measurable differences in installation, rideability or maintenance?

Toy Hauler

-----------------------------------------------------------

Toy hualer,

no i have not tried all three to compare, and to be honest im not sure why you would assume that from my post.

however if i briefly give my experience of the z-start

istalation. took about 45minutes most of that time was spent reading the instructions very carefully and converting 1000th of an inch over too milimetres, as i only had a metric feeler guage.

i think i could probably install one now in around 15 minutes.

i then started the bike, and the clutch WORKED, simply as that.

And has continued to work absolutly perfectly and utterly without fault. i cannot immagine how its function could be improved upon.

As regards the maintanance of the z-start vs the EFM and revloc, i can't really comment. I have about 50 -60 hours of use on the clutch, and its yet to show sign of measurable wear.

I also like the attitude of both Al and Dan Youngworth. (rekluse products)

im not saying the z-start is better then either the revlock or EFM. rather im saying the z-start has worked flawlessly,,so what would be the benefit of buying a product being marketed for a higher price?

If i was going to pay an extra $100 for a product,

then i'd expect additional benefits for that money.

and i dont personally see what the other products offer over and above the z-start.

just my opinion

Devilish, Its an autoclutch, not an automatic transmission. If you have seen the "clutchless manuals" some cars have (tiptronic, etc), clutchless manual is a good description. You choose the gear but don't have to push in a clutch. If you drive a automatic car/truck, it would be like you using the gear selector to move between "1", "2", "3" and "D" rather than having the tranny choose for you. Try stalling your automatic car and you get the idea, you can't do it no matter what gear its in. (OK sticklers I realize that if you put the car in "3" and go 2 mph, the car won't stay in 3rd gear but I am trying to get the point across about how an autoclutch operates).

Sunruh, if EFM is still a TT advertiser why don't they show up under TT's list of advertisers?

Toy Hauler, something doesn't sound right about no core charge/completely reversible. I think its either/or, not both. With my EFM, I had to drill and punch the stock basket out of the gear and replace it with the EFM basket, so it is not reversible (and that was a pain and a bit of work). To make it reversible I would have had to pay a core charge to leave my stock basket on the gear. Maybe EFM changed this, but you should clarify this with them. I believe the Z-start (correct me if I am wrong) really is reversible without a core charge.