Another attempted money grab from ORV funds

I recently received this email. We have another proposed attempt to take ORV funds. We need to write some letters to head this one off early.

We are very limited on the amount of land that we can ride on, how can we be one of the primary sources of funding. And don't we get hit by the tire fee as well, so they are hit us twice.

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:22 AM

To: RCO DL Invasives Species

Subject: Washington Invasive Species Council seeks your input on proposed legislation

The Washington Invasive Species Council is soliciting comments from stakeholders on two draft pieces of legislation it is considering proposing. The first bill seeks to extend the Council, which currently is scheduled to sunset on December 30, 2011. The second bill proposes to establish an invasive species emergency response fund that would enable rapid response and eradication of new invasive species infestations. Proposed funding sources for the emergency response fund include 1% of the Marine Fuel Tax Refund Account, 1% of the Off-Road Vehicle Use Permit Fee, and a $0.05 increase in the tire fee. These fund sources are tied to particular vectors shown to be responsible for the introduction and spread of invasive species.

We would appreciate feedback on the attached documents so that we can incorporate comments prior to submitting them for further review in the agency-request legislation process. Please provide questions and comments to Wendy Brown, Executive Coordinator of the Council, by August 13, 2010 and feel free to pass this solicitation along to others that may be interested. Wendy can be reached at wendy.brown@invasivespecies.wa.gov.

For more information about the Washington Invasive Species Council, please visit our web site at www.invasivespecies.wa.gov.

Wendy Brown

Executive Coordinator

Washington Invasive Species Council

360-902-3088

www.invasivespecies.wa.gov

My understanding from my marine background is that the biggest carrier of the most damaging invasive species are boats, both trailer boats and international freighters so I’m puzzled why OHVs are picked on as a funding source.

Why did they pick 1% of Marine fuel tax refund and not 1% OHV fuel tax refund?

Isn’t the marine fuel tax refund in the same constitutional situation as the OHV fuel tax in that fuel tax money must be used for roads or refunded?

Boats currently pay a use fee on the annual registration, just like cars did before Tim Eymon, a small percentage of that money would provide a much bigger fund than chasing OHV User tab fees. With the high prices of anything marine I’ll bet the use tax on the pleasure and work boats in this state is orders of magnitude bigger than the OHV tab fees.

In addition I found nothing in the attachments that link OHVs to the introduction of invasive species that is in proportion to the requested OHV funding.

I suggest strong opposition, time to write leters.

First off don't go there about trailerable boats or recreational boating for invasive speices. The ships heck yes and they should be the ons targeted for the cost not the the others. As far as bikes are concerned that too is just a bunch of bull. Trucking does more in one day with the different areas than bikes could ever do. It really comes down to this, fear of lossing thier jobs through lack of funding, and they have the abuility to make something from nothing at the same time makeing an income from it. OOOO don't they call that a parricite?

Why did they pick 1% of Marine fuel tax refund and not 1% OHV fuel tax refund?

Isn’t the marine fuel tax refund in the same constitutional situation as the OHV fuel tax in that fuel tax money must be used for roads or refunded?

Maybe because (when its not ripped off) 100 percent of the ORV permit money goes to ORV purposes, but only a much smaller percentage of the ORV gas tax refund goes to ORV purposes. Take ORV gas tax refunds and non-motorized trail user get hurt by the redirection of funds.

I suggest strong opposition, time to write leters.

Not much to work effectively right now.

After the November elections, it will be time to pound on your State Legislators.

I am leaning more toward being IN FAVOR of a portion of ORV dollars being contributed to a fund for control of noxious weeds and invasive species.

It has been said that trail bikes may contribute to the spread of invasive species as the mud collected on the bike may contain noxious seeds. That bike then gets ridden somewhere else and that mud is deposited elsewhere. For example a rider rides the central oregon desert and doesn't wash his bike off before taking it to Gifford Pinchot the following weekend. You have probably heard forest service personnel saying you should wash your bike after every ride. This is why.

Other states (Montana for example) have a Noxious Weed Trust Fund. BackCountry Horsemen and other hunter and recreation groups are involved in making sure they are part of the solution instead of the problem.

IMHO, having a similar fund that receives some dollars from the ORV community is a good investment in the land as well our off roading community. It may help protect the very land we ride on as well shine a more positive light on ORV users.

I am interested in more opinions on this. I am surprised we have not heard more about this in our land use issues.

later

danny

I am leaning more toward being IN FAVOR of a portion of ORV dollars being contributed to a fund for control of noxious weeds and invasive species.

It has been said that trail bikes may contribute to the spread of invasive species as the mud collected on the bike may contain noxious seeds. That bike then gets ridden somewhere else and that mud is deposited elsewhere. For example a rider rides the central oregon desert and doesn't wash his bike off before taking it to Gifford Pinchot the following weekend. You have probably heard forest service personnel saying you should wash your bike after every ride. This is why.

Other states (Montana for example) have a Noxious Weed Trust Fund. BackCountry Horsemen and other hunter and recreation groups are involved in making sure they are part of the solution instead of the problem.

IMHO, having a similar fund that receives some dollars from the ORV community is a good investment in the land as well our off roading community. It may help protect the very land we ride on as well shine a more positive light on ORV users.

I am interested in more opinions on this. I am surprised we have not heard more about this in our land use issues.

later

danny

I oppose using ORV for the simple reason that the cost and blame should be proportional.

What porportion of the problem do we cause?

Maybe less that a tiny fraction of a single percent if that.

Compare that to the 17 percent share of the burden we are being asked to pay.

I oppose using ORV for the simple reason that the cost and blame should be proportional.

What porportion of the problem do we cause?

Maybe less that a tiny fraction of a single percent if that.

Compare that to the 17 percent share of the burden we are being asked to pay.

Fully agree.

Most noxious weeds are spread by land development and improper revegetation of the site. Even a timber sale needs to be revegetated after the cut to prevent the spread of noxious weeds. Wind, birds, livestock, rain, and other methods spread them much more efficiently than an ORV.

I don't think dirtbikes should be taxed. I don't hear them wanting to tax horses who eat weeds at home and crap them out in the woods, and yes some of the seed makes it out whole. Why don't they tax shoes they can transport Puncturevine (goatshead) very easy to the woods. Maybe they think the problem is with ATV's.

Maybe they think the problem is with ATV's.

More likely they merely see the ORV fund as an existing revenue stream to tap into.

It is much easier to steal existing funds than it is to set up new taxes.

At least until after 2010 elections

They will be very important.

Do more than just vote, get out and help you candidates of choice and/or send them some coin.

If ORV friendly Legislators don't take back Olympia the future will be worse than the present.

They will be very important.

Do more than just vote, get out and help you candidates of choice and/or send them some coin.

If ORV friendly Legislators don't take back Olympia the future will be worse than the present.

at MINIMUM, just contact your local ORV friendly legislator or candidate and get their signs in your yard:thumbsup:

Joe

at MINIMUM, just contact your local ORV friendly legislator or candidate and get their signs in your yard:thumbsup:

Joe

One is Condotta, and the others are Armstong not sure how he is, and Parlett, not sure on here either, but I do signs and anything else I can do.

Man....maybe we should get our ORV monies back before we entertain anymore garbage from any legislator. We should be more concerned with our funds going to keeping trails maintained so they don't shut them down (their goal) and allowing us to open new areas. Anything else is distraction and a straying off of the path we started on. Since this state is bolden to overthrow the position and power of the people, maybe just maybe, we should re-establish our positions as ORV enthusiasts. Just a thought....

Man....maybe we should get our ORV monies back before we entertain anymore garbage from any legislator. We should be more concerned with our funds going to keeping trails maintained so they don't shut them down (their goal) and allowing us to open new areas. ....

That is what the Northwest Morotcycle Association and the Washington Off highway Vehicle Alliance are trying to accomplish with their lawsuit against the State of Washington.

Additionally, those organizations are supporting pro-ORV legislators and will continue to publicly poit out which legislators are friends or foes.

Join the NMA and/or WOHVA help us win these and other battles.

http://www.nmaoffroad.org

http://www.wohva.org