Renthal and Protaper 1 1/8" Handlebars????

Does the 1 1/8" handlebars taper down enough at the grip area so that the stock XR650L controls will bolt on. Can I even use an 1 1/8" handlbar? The stock handlebar is 1" I think so I can't go bigger than that at the control end of things. Which is better Renthals or Protaper? Your preference and why?

Anybody have any input? Thanks.

The 1 1/8" is the clamp area, they taper to the stock size of 7/8" so all your controls will fit, just need 1 1/8" clamps. As for brand, on an XR650L it doesn't matter, you're never gonna bend them, I like the Renthals, cause they were on my DR when I bought it.

I use pro tapers 1 and 1/8. You won't have to do anything special to mount the controls, but I have rox risers with a 1 and 1/8 adapter. You will need some type of adapter to use 1 and 1/8 bars, but that's it.

Your controls have little plastic bumps that fit into holes on the stock handlebars. This makes it easy for the factory to install everything correctly.

You have to remove these little alignment bumps because the new bars won't have any holes.

New bars are sooooo much better and worth the trouble to install.

Sorry to interrupt but i have been thinking of some new bars for my Honda XR650R which has renthal 7/8 bars i believe, i was looking at some 1 1/8 renthal or pro taper bars but i would curious about the 1 1/8 clamps i will need to buy and the bar bends, will the throttle cable still fit as its a tight stretch currently as it is on full lock. If i were to go any higher?

Also what recommendation for pro taper bars would you guys say for someone who is 6'2? What bend? Clamps etc? Ive seen packages on ebay such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRO-TAPER-BARS-MOUNTS-CHARMICHAEL-BLACK-HONDA-CRF-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d29b438c2QQitemZ400131635394QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks

Matt.

Matt,

I'm 6'4 and I use the Renthal RC high bend Fat Bars, with a set of Pro-Taper adapters. Everything bolts on pretty straightforward, but you will have to reroute the cables. Much more comfortable than the stock junk.

How do you go about rerouting as it seems like you cant really change it much?

1-11.jpg

How do you go about rerouting as it seems like you cant really change it much?

1-11.jpg

If your new bars are higher, you'll have to reposition the throttle so that the cables are either under or behind the bars (looking from the front). If they're WAY higher, you might need longer throttle cables.

I have them behind the bars, since I have a mirror mounted there. It's tight, but it works fine.

If your new bars are higher, you'll have to reposition the throttle so that the cables are either under or behind the bars (looking from the front). If they're WAY higher, you might need longer throttle cables.

I have them behind the bars, since I have a mirror mounted there. It's tight, but it works fine.

Got a pic by chance? ?

Thanks

Matt.

Sorry, no good pics to show what it looks like. I just put on some Renthal CR hi-bends. Just rotated the throttle since my right side mirror was in the way. I think you can see the mirror here. It mounts to the brake lever, so the cable can't go on top.

322229447_vXYJT-S.jpg

The bars in the pic are slightly lower than what I've got now. Everything fit fine.