Just about everything you need to know to do an oil change...

To answer questions...

O-Rings - I've never replaced them. Don't see the need to, unless they are obviously torn. If you needed to... it's probably easier just take yours to a hardware store and look through the bin for a replacement.

The lower plug, no, it's not a drain. I don't normally remove it. But since I already had the skid plate off to do the screen, I figured why not. About a 1/2 a cup of oil came out of it.

The torque values are straight out of the service manual.

You are supposed to replace the washers (but yes, many folks including myself have reused them a few times... but after a while, they start getting to disfigured) As far as cone shaped... they are supposed to start out cone shaped. When they are squished flat... they no longer do there job as well.

The only times folks run into trouble is when the put the washers in the wrong way... which is why I also put the little picture in the corner. 😏

the torque values are correct.

please don't mislead people by having them flip over the crush washer and reusing it.this could still easily lead to disaster and is not the way the washers were intended to be employed.the crankcase drain is very fragile because of the exposed boss.lots of ham fisted folks have broken their crankcases over-tightening the drain plug with a used crush washer.

Many things in the service manual are not correct. The service manual was written by a tech writer that got the torque values from a standard spec sheet by thread size with no regard to aluminum or thread engagement. That plug below the filter cavity needs to be firm snug. I have a feel for it but can't give you a specific torque valve. It is 12mm but not a lot of thread engagement in a cast aluminum material. The real sump drain plug has a lot more thread engagement so there is a little more safety factor. Same torque for both is not logical.

[Vortex1111I would consider revising your post.

The lower bolt, on the clutch cover is to small for 15lb, like chooken & Noble stated. It's more like 8lb. A lot of fokes will end up with a stripped issue or cracked cover at 15lb.

If you want to go by manuals, my factory manual states 16.5lb for the oil strainer & oil line union bolt.

Don't forget the oil filter bolts 78inlb.

Also make sure you Torq wrench is calibrated correctly, if not torq just doesn't matter.

+1 agree, no malice intended. I like torq spec, seen to many people who thought they knew their own strength, including master mechanics, it just caused me more work to repair others unwillingness to use the proper tools.

Cheers could never find the p/n for the frame plug washer. According to the manual the rubber O-ring/washer for the filter should be replaced? If so any idea on the part number?

Wix makes a filter for the DRZ that comes with both o-rings. You can get them through almost any auto parts store. Napa has them, thier p/n is PS7931.....