Riveted chain NO GOOD!

I decided it was time to replace my chain and sprockets on my 2003 KX250. I went and purchased them and brought them home. Got the sprockets on, cut the chain to length, opened up the masterlink and ......***.....what the hell is this?? No circlip masterlink! So now I need to spend at least another 50-60 dollars it looks like on a rivet tool, or spend 5-6 hours at work making my own. I learned another good lesson here, look closely at what you THINK you might already know. Not one of my friends, older or younger, had ever seen a rivet style chain for a motorcycle. I think its crap that a motorcycle shop would even sell you one unless you asked specifically for that style. I couldnt take it back cause I had already cut it. Anyone know of a cheap way around this, like where I can pick up a cheap one, or you think the motorcycle shop would let me borrow one for an hour. lol.­čśĆ

what brand/model chain ? most the time you can buy just a masterlink clip style, i done it many times. make sure its same width and pin diameter and plate thickness. might have to call the company to make sure you get the correct one.

Most chains come with both rivet and clip style links. It's usually in the item details what link it comes with. I'm not a fan of the rivet type because I like to remove my chain once in a while to really clean it. You should be able to just bring your bike to a shop and they can install the link, then order a clip type.

Yeah, I hear you. The closer I look at this chain, the more I wonder what this clown sold me. It is a RK Ring Chain, 520XSO, I went to RK website and I see its for street use and/or offroad. I trust people too much I guess, I didnt actually take a good look at this chain when he brought it out. I have noticed that all the RK "dirtbike" chains are clip style. Im wondering now if I bring this back and complain about how he sold me a street bike chain if he will take it back, I bet he tells me tough luck lol. (The chain has been cut already, two links).

I think I will call RK tomorrow and see what they say about this chain, and also see which clip style masterlink will work with this chain. I would like to take it off as well from time to time, without having to grind off and replace the masterlink!!

I ran a 520XSO on my XR250 for a couple of years. Hare scrambles, lots of mud, semi half-assed maintenance, and it's held up great.

There is a clip-type link available for this chain. Whoever sold you the chain should be able to get you the link as well. In fact, I just snagged a couple off Ebay from Summit Racing.

-B

I think I will call RK tomorrow and see what they say about this chain, and also see which clip style masterlink will work with this chain. I would like to take it off as well from time to time, without having to grind off and replace the masterlink!!

Rivet style master links are very common on street bikes. As a matter of fact, you couldn't pay me not to use one on mine. Any 520 clip style master link should work with that chain, the brand really doesn't matter, only the size and whether or not it is an o-ring chain matters.

Part number = RK520XSO-CL. Any motorcycle shop that sells RK chains can get them.

If you bought the chain from a local shop, call them up and tell them you would like the clip style master link for the chain they sold you. Explain your situation (nicely and rationally) and they should get you one at no charge...well, if they care at all about customer service they will. Heck, they may even have one in stock.