XR600 / XR650L Similar?

Been looking at a mates XR650L and its seems like an updated XR600R. We had the seat & tank off the L yesterday and it looks identical to my XR600R (save for a few brackets).

Are most parts interchangable between the 650L and the older XR600R, as it would be a good source of parts as XR600R parts are getting harder to find?

Cheers

Yes, it depends though. A lot of the engine parts will interchange. The L version has a lot of extra things to do with the electrical system such as battery, starter, bigger flywheel, bigger harness, etc.

If you are considering a part swap, it's best to ask here first to make sure there won't be issues. Some people even put an XR600 kickstarter on their L.

Thanks for that, its nice to know that I can use them as a source of some parts. I did wonder how i was going to do a 650cc conversion at some point, I guess I now have the answer. Guessing I could thow in the swing arm and rear wheel for a disc conversion as well...

­čśĆ

Will the XR600R head swap right to the XR650L and vise versa? Single carb up 88 that is.

I am pretty sure it will since the CC diff is stroke and boreand have a line on a 89 head for my 650L.

Edited by FBJR

Been looking at a mates XR650L and its seems like an updated XR600R. We had the seat & tank off the L yesterday and it looks identical to my XR600R (save for a few brackets).

Are most parts interchangable between the 650L and the older XR600R, as it would be a good source of parts as XR600R parts are getting harder to find?

Cheers

There is nothing updated about the 650L over a '91-00 XR600 except for BNG. In a nutshell, the 650L is a cushier, slightly more road-oriented XR600 with 53cc more displacement, 50lbs more weight, less compression, less power, e-start only, and a CV carb. Many parts will interchange with '88-90 and '91-00 XR600s and many parts will not. It depends on which ones you're talking about.

1.) Will the XR600R head swap right to the XR650L...

2.) and vise versa? Single carb up 88 that is.

1.) Yes. but it will disable the air injection ports used by the smog pump. If the bike has been desmogged already, then it won't change anything.

2.) Yes, but the air injection passages in the exhaust ports must be blocked in order to use the 650L head on a 600.

• 1 year later...

I'm a new member and also have a few questions about the 600r. will the seat from a 650L be interchangable to a 600r? will the fork boots be interchangable? also what about the front and rear fenders? I've heard that these parts are and arent interchangeable and woul like to clarify it all up when i decide to buy a 600r.

THANKS!