'01 DRZ E electrical problems. (computer bad?)

Many many weeks ago was the first time I had problems. I turn on my ignition and my lights don't turn on, engine wont turn over electrically. But will can be started by pushing it.

I finally found some time and became tired of pushstarting the beast everyday so today I take everything apart in search of the issue, pull the wiring harness out to search for problems - not a thing wrong with the wires.

As i'm putting it back together I notice that I can run my lights with ignition on (which it wouldn't before I started). When I plug the "computer's" LARGER plug in, the lights die and my battery's 12v shrivel to less than 2v on the voltometer... weird i know.

Now - either i have a short that is somewhere involving the wires of that larger plug, or my computer is bad. What could it be?

It is very possible your battery is really weak. If you connect only a tester it will read a voltage but if you draw power it cannot supply. Connect your tester to the battery in the bike. Note the reading. Now turn on the key. If the reading drops below 10 volts your battery is very dead or defective. You already said it will not charge.

Another way to test the battery. Connect wires to a 1156 tail light bulb. Touch the wires to a car battery and observe how bright it is. Now connect it to your motorcycle battery and compare. It should be the same brightness.

If either test fails then use jumper cables to connect from the bike to a car/truck that is not started. The bike will probably start. If so you should replace the battery before riding it much.

Your computer (CDI) uses power to operate and if the battery is faulty it will not be able to power it.

Battery is bad. Battery is dated from 12/09. An 8 month old battery shouldn't be dieing - or am I wrong?

What in my electrical system would cause a battery to go bad? Faulty stator, faulty wiring, wire shorting, or the Acerbis head lights I wired to have HI/LOW on all the time. is 110w of light too much to use?

I will do all I can to get a new battery right now, but I'm affraid that my problem lies deeper than that. Im affraid that my battery is bad due to something else.

The only faulty things that i've noticed in my wireharness is a WARM (temperature wise) wire. The wire is ONE of the wires from the key module.

Would anyone happen to know what the BL/wh and orange wire belong to? They pop out at the front where the (hot) ignition wires are. Headlight maybe? 2001 DRZE

Drz has a known drain from the clock. It will slowly drain your battery over a couple of weeks. If you ride it once a week you probably won't notice until it sits for a while.battery tender CTEK or trickle charger will keep it in top shape. Supter Start kit helps too but over winter will eventually drain. Some drzs sit in showroom and drain battery and when you get it already weak.

Get a good Yuasa battery charge it fully at the beginning and it will last pretty wellnwith tender.

I will run them through a relay on the battery, that is a grand idea. I'll throw them on an independent switch so theres no screwin around when i get back in business.

I have no clock on my DRZ. I do have a battery tender that I've been using from time to time. I ride my DRZ everyday and when in tip top shape and wasn't having these problems she electrically started no problems.

I did the electrical testing - minus having it started and noting the readings at x rpm's she was in pieces.

Disconnected the neg termianl and threw a lightbulb inbetween the wire and battery terminal and had no current leakage. this is how i understood to do this test.

I've got a short somewhere - I know I do I just don't know where or what caused it. The key's wires (one of) gets hot when ignition is on. This tells me i've got a small problem somewhere. I"ve searched and searched for it. So before i buy another batttery, replace that and destroy it again due to the same cause - I'm going to replace my wire harness and battery - hopefully call it good.....

whattya think?

anyone have a DRZ400E 2001 wireharness they wanna sell me :banana:

I have a complete E wire harness for sale PM me

but I dont think thats your problem.

sometimes the wires get pinched or broken where they go around the steering stem you can look there for issues

you need to follow the FAQ NPM pointed to

I should have mentioned you should probably be upgrading ground to the headlight as well. The factory size is based on one beam at a time.

I still say switch to a real HID system. If you want insane amounts of light get a 55W Bi-xenon HID conversion.

• 3 weeks later...