What Sport bike should i buy?

I am looking to buy a crotch rocket. I have rode them hayabusa's, gsxr's, and a cbr. my problem is i want to be comfortable but still have the performance and handling i enjoy from a sport bike. I would like to get something around the 6000 maybe seven range. Also i want something that i can ride a passenger on every once in a while without them being crippled after. I also have to say i am 6foot3 and weigh about 200 pounds so i think maybe a 600 would b small but i cant decide. i would not be cramped on a busa and they are pretty comfy for both riders. Are there any suggestions out there?

Check out a 1st generation Aprilia Tuono or 2nd generation Mille. They can be had within your $6K and are big comfortable bikes. My '04 Tuono has 75K miles and hasn't even needed a valve shim yet. Done more than a few 5-600 mile days with no real comfort issues. 8-10 hours on a GoldWing and you want off. Just be reasy for the "what kinda motorcycle is that?" questions.

Tuono2.jpg

well the bike i just had stolen would seem to suit you perfectly

a 2002-2009 honda vfr800f interceptor

all day riding comfortable but still sporty

100hp and 55torque at rear wheel v4 engine

its a little heavy 550 lbs (cant feel it when moving)

it is kinna dual natured with the vtec

keep it below 7000rpm and its mild and torquey

above 7grand vtec kicks in and it rips

a v4 roars where an i4 screams

bike is silky smooth

mine was even abs

do a youtube search of "freddy spencer honda vfr" youll see him on one on track

in 2002 cycle world had a shoot out called "worlds best street bike" the interceptor won

ok only things wrong with the bike 1) linked brakes i actually came to like them but at 100% on track you cant trail brake 2) if stuck in traffic below 25mph it gets hot it wont over heat but in summer rush hour it will bake you

If you're trying to do it on the cheap, Suzuki Bandit 1200 can easily be found under $3000, or even $2500. Rock solid engine, easy to maintain, lots of mods available, nice lowend torque, just around 100 hp, upright riding position, cheap to insure, too.

IMG_2542.JPG

Tuono is very nice, but not many dealers around.. almost lost my license riding one.

/\ The bandit and VFR are great options. You might also look into an SV1000. They're not a full on sport bike (half faired, higher clip ons, V-twin) but it will get you where you need to go in better comfort and carry passengers just fine.

Look for a '02 or newer 955i. They are made for a bigger guy, I am 6'4"195lbs and it fits me great for all day rides. The triple's sound can't be beat and anyone that hears it at 10,000rpm can't believe how f*%king badass it is! The roar of a twin with the scream of an inline. Forget about the stodgy Tiger image or Bonneville, etc this one is the middle weight supersport 675's big brother.

Power is respectable at 130WHP and ~75ftlb at the wheel (not crank) after an exhaust and tuneboy tune that turns ignition and fuel timing dials to 11.

Basically a real world superbike. Same weight as a RC51 but more balls and a lot more room. Price wise they are steal too at same price as the vanilla jap inline fours you see EVERYWHERE.

I have owned mine since new and it is very reliable, with a few minor oil leaks I had to seal being the only problem. I won't try to say it is as reliable as your average jap inline four, which are pretty much indestructible, but it is no finicky maintenance intensive POS either.

when it comes to most sport bikes, a fairly cheap clip-on change is all it takes to make most fairly comfortable

of course, hard seats are harder to fix.. But enough seat time, and you could sit on a 2x4 and not have it hurt (but I'm sure thats not what your going for lol) :banana:

/\ The bandit and VFR are great options. You might also look into an SV1000. They're not a full on sport bike (half faired, higher clip ons, V-twin) but it will get you where you need to go in better comfort and carry passengers just fine.

I second the "Half Faired V-twin" the susuki sv1000 is good but I prefer the Honda Superhawk 996 (VTR1000) I own one of these and it is amazing. I love the feel of the V-twins compared to the I-4s. My SuperHawk will outrun many I-4s 0-60 but is slower 60-120. You will also save money on insurance because these are exactly as lowercasee said

not a full on sport bike (half faired, higher clip ons, V-twin)

If you prefer something a little more potent both honda and susuki had the "full faired V-twins" TL1000 and the Honda RC51 both of these are more race influenced and have more top end performance.

If I could find an RC51 in good condition I would probably buy it but if I found another good condition superhawk I would buy it in a heartbeat.

This is just my opinion but I do not think I would own an I4 after having a Vtwin. I have ridden I4s and the twin just feels like more of a beast. When the rumble combines with the all that torqe of the twin you can't help but love it.:banana:­čĹŹ

• 5 months later...

the Bandit 12s are legendry over here in the uk. there's so many after market mods that you can do exactly what you like with it for next to nothing in money!

I had a Yamaha Thundercat, which was unbelievably comfy for a sports bike, it was wide, but the weight was low down. you might want to look at the Yamaha Thunderace, which is the 1000 version of the thundercat, these bikes where the prelude to the R1 and R6 respectivly, but they are so so comfy. and pretty good gear on them - the brembo brakes are quality, and the motor reliable!

check the gearbox out if you do find one, sometimes they chew the gear sprocket dogs and the box jumps outta gear on the 'Cat