2003 cr 250

Hi, I am looking at getting a 2003 CR 250 for about $2,300. The bike looks like it was barely ridden, as everything (including the graphics) is original and seems like it is in great shape. Was this a good year for CRs? Do you think this is a fair price? Any feedback you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bought mine new in 03, used for mx exclusively. I just put it's first new cylinder and bottom end in this weekend, and it was still well within specs, so I have serviceable spares I guess. Jetting with the stock mikuni can be a pain, most everyone resorts to a jd jetting kit or a kehin air striker carb from carbpartswarehouse or auctions. The shrouds like to rub the frame, after the radiators get bent, and they will get bent, they seem to be made of soft aluminum colored velveta cheese. Many riders find the squish off by a good bit and have the cylinder head milled. The honda's case reed motor is soft on the bottom end, but jetting work, reeds and a gnarly pipe can help. Suspension is very good and the bike has this best manners of any bike I have ever ridden. If you don't mind jetting work, I'd say buy it!

• Like 1

Bought mine new in 03, used for mx exclusively. I just put it's first new cylinder and bottom end in this weekend, and it was still well within specs, so I have serviceable spares I guess. Jetting with the stock mikuni can be a pain, most everyone resorts to a jd jetting kit or a kehin air striker carb from carbpartswarehouse or auctions. The shrouds like to rub the frame, after the radiators get bent, and they will get bent, they seem to be made of soft aluminum colored velveta cheese. Many riders find the squish off by a good bit and have the cylinder head milled. The honda's case reed motor is soft on the bottom end, but jetting work, reeds and a gnarly pipe can help. Suspension is very good and the bike has this best manners of any bike I have ever ridden. If you don't mind jetting work, I'd say buy it!

That pretty much covers it, except I wouldn't recommend the Gnarly (completely nueters the top-end). I love my '02, feels like a 125 with a 250 powerplant.

• Like 1

Honda made some changes to the motor in '05. Went to a dome-top piston, changed the exhaust flange, and made porting and ignition changes. Not a major big deal. The '03's can be made to run really well with careful jetting (or swap to a PWK airstriker), setting the squish properly and a Boyessen Rad Valve.

You might find other motors that make more bottom end, or make smoother power, but the '02's and '03's made the most peak power. I put an '00 motor in my '02 chassis and love it (strictly offroad, no motocross), but I could probably be just as happy with a slightly tweaked '03 motor.

2003 cr250 is way more bike than most riders will ever need and i have not had any issues with my jetting or anything else with mine except that shifting under a load is tuff at times...it is the best handling bike that i ever threw my leg over and has more than enough power for the average rider ?

Thanks, I'm not concerned about the bike having enough power. I rode an 07 and absolutely loved it. I hadn't had that much fun on a bike in quite a while. I just want something that is similar to that. I dont want a power monger, just something that is a blast to ride.