09 yz250f oil change question

Same basic idea as the older models that had the oil tank in the frame, except now, the oil tank sits in front of the engine crankcase, and instead of a screw-in dipstick, you view the oil level through a window below the front sprocket.

There's a small bolt and sealing washer at the top of the oil tank that must be removed in order to let air into the tank as the oil drains out the bottom.

The oil tank drain is at the fitting at the bottom where the oil hose connects to it.

There's a sealing washer there, too.

The crankcase drain is at the bottom of the engine, pointing toward the right-hand footpeg.

There's a sealing washer there, too.

I like to use new ones each time.

Even if you don't change the oil filter at the same time, at least remove the bottom oil filter cover bolt so the oil filter cavity will drain.

How much oil do i put in? 1 qt?. Does the oil have to be at the top of the sight glass? With my ktm, the oil would be at the bottom of the sight glass when cold and when it was hot the oil would be at the top of the sight glass.

The Owner's Service Manual for your bike specifies 1.1 quarts if you do not change the oil filter at the same time.

1.2 quarts if you do change the oil filter.

When the engine is cold and has been sitting for a length of time, the oil level in the window will probably show over full because oil slowly accumulates in the crankcase, which is normal for this kind of oiling system.

You check the oil level a minute or so after you stop the engine after it's been run for a few minutes.