09 rmz 450 likes to get hot

You could order the overflow bottle of the RMX450Z. It wil snug in between your frame below your engine. In that way it doesn't spill any fluid if it boils, it will suck it right back as soon as it cools off.

I have a 1.3 bar cap instead of the standard 1.1. You can get them through ebay.

Putoline sells a special Ice Cooler fluid for MXers. Perhaps that is an idea?

238g.jpg

Putoline Ice Cooler

A silicate free long-life coolant based on Nano Technology and Mono Propylene Glycol (MPG). It offers perfect protection for all types of metal used in modern motorcycle race engines and cooling systems. Ice cooler is fully compatible with all water pump seals and gaskets. It ensures a long life-span by the use of silicate-free techniques and provides excellent pour-point-lowering properties. It is non-toxic, biodegradable and not harmful to the environment. Due to a special formulation Ice Cooler prevents engine overheating and reduces operating temperatures under race conditions, allowing continuous high power output and increased reliability. This product is highly suitable for all extreme Off-Road and race use. Ice cooler offers frost protection up to a minimum of -26°C.

Available in a 2 litre bottle at a retail price of £16.75

Edited by Noppy

I always run Engine Ice in my bikes....got used to it during my youngest 50cc days! I would double check the water pump. Did you have exhaust work done? Does your bike need the ignition remapped or at least checked out...sounds like the bike could be running rich! I never let my 450's idle more than 30 seconds, the amount of heat these bikes produce is incredible! My buddy has the same problem with his YZ450f, but it is an 09 that is carbed and he is too lazy to switch the jets....so he just starts it and runs immediately!

The bike is not running rich. A lean condition causes extra heat (can melt pistons). Adding fuel actually lowers temperature. I have a 09 crf450r that overheats easily. I reduced the problem by ensuring that the bike keeps moving! Another solution was that I installed an electronic jet kit fuel controller and set the bike to run rich! I can easily adjust the fuel back to normal on the fly when trail conditions improve.