Considering CRF450X

Hello all,

I am considering buying a CRF450X, probably a used one. I have a 2008 XR650L, heavily modified for dirt. Great bike but I find the time I spend on road is less and less each year.

I want to make the jump to something fully dirt oriented and shed a few pounds too. I just wanted to know if there are things to be aware of with the CRF450 that a guy should watch for when buying.

Also I usually group ride with Quads, (slowing going sometimes) so I will also be interested in the cooling fan kit if anyone has input on that.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

­čśĆ

The first thing I would do when considering any used bike is pull the air filter off and take a clean paper towel and wipe the inside of the airbox boot. Get as far up near the intake manifold as you can. It should be spotless. If there's a little black grime, it's ok. If there's a lot of black grime and dirt, kindly reinstall the air filter and walk away. The air filter test will give you a good indication how well the owner kept the air filter clean and ultimately how much damage might have been done to the top end. The air filter box should be clean too. If I see a bunch of dirt in there, walk away.

Ask about oil change frequency and also how often the valves have been checked/adjusted. If the owner has had the valves shimmed, make sure you know how much, if at all. I'd look for a used 450x with low hours, in-spec valves that haven't been shimmed, and an owner that kept a good maintenance log.

I went from a 650R to 450X and decided to go with low hours clean stock type bike. I ended spending a ton of $ and time on the bike to get it up to the performance I wanted - probably more than any other bike I have owned. Granted this was my first modern 4stroke and it was plugged up from the factory in order to pass emissions to get green sticker. My point is you may want to way your options and get a modified bike that has the high $ parts on it already.

Good thought on checking the intake manifold for grime.

I am guessing the valves / top end can cost some $$ and wear quickly if not maintained?

I know I will need a bigger tank, I have the Clark 15L on my XR now. We often head out and end up with 100KM of trails (6~8 hours of riding) The cooling fan will be a must too, waiting for people to clear sections and catch up.

XR/CRDave, how does the bottom end compare to the XR? One thing I love about my XR650L is we often hit muskeg then climb, and I can barely touch the throttle or it will spin with mud on the wheel, but that XR will idle up out of a lot of those spots.

Thank you for all your input.

I'm also looking to buy a 450x. I've always been a 2-stroke rider, so this is new to me.

I'm probably going to buy something used, but want to know if there are any significant differences between the model years?

I've been searching for a few weeks now, and it seems like the 2005's and 2007's are far more common than the other years. Is that just a coincidence, or are those bad years that people are getting rid of, or were a lot more made in those years?

I'm also looking to buy a 450x. I've always been a 2-stroke rider, so this is new to me.

I'm probably going to buy something used, but want to know if there are any significant differences between the model years?

I've been searching for a few weeks now, and it seems like the 2005's and 2007's are far more common than the other years. Is that just a coincidence, or are those bad years that people are getting rid of, or were a lot more made in those years?

The bike hasn't changed too much since it was released in 2005. There were some lubrication problems in the tranny on the earlier models (can be solved by using 1L of oil). The triple clamp offset was changed somewhere along the line as well (2008?). I wouldn't be worried too much about the year, be more concerned with the condition of the bike.

The main notable changes were 07 on the gas tank got smaller from 2.26 to 1.9(stupid for a off-road bike but thank EPA for that stupidity) as far as handling the 08 seems to be the best year , prior and after not much change in suspension , to me the 06 is the best year out of the box as you dont need to buy a aftermarket tank and can ride 80+ miles on the stocker riding hard

other than that it has not changed much at all since its begining in 05 , unlike the 450R that has completely changed , pretty much since 08 they really didn't make more , i believe 09's are 08's with different graphics and a white back fender and both have the factory steering dampener and as far as i know 010 was never made because of left over 08-09's

Hi,

The 2008 is really the one you want.

New/better frame

New forks with bigger rods, and the axle 2mm closer to center of the fork (+2mm trail)

New clamps 22mm offset old were 24 (+2 more mm of trail)

THE 2008 IS THE FIRST YEAR OF THE SMALL TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(the tank is a bummer...but the frame,forks,clamps are way better)

On my 2007 for the motor:

I did the P.C. block off, air box mod, carb jet kit, and cam kit. It is a very friendly motor that runs from the bottom to the top. (one up on the counter shaft at 5000 feet my bike will do a 4th gear power wheelie and I am 6' 4" and am 260 with gear.)

You will LOVE IT!!!!!!

P.C also did my forks and shock and did a GREAT Job of it.

I have ridden KX500s for over 20 years, last year I got a 08 450r and two months ago I got my 450x ... I can't sell my kx500s soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep eyeing the 2007 for $6k OTD or the 2008 for $6500 OTD.

That to me doesn't sound like that great of a deal , in march of 06 when i got my 06 , it was fresh from the crate while it was a current model and i paid $6,300 OTD so for a 07 or 08 in 2010 i would say it should be below or right at $6,000 to be a good deal , since when i got mine list was $7,100 and in 07 and 08 they were around $7,500 or so give or take a few hundred , so to be 2 or 3 years old the price should be lower than $6,500 , even if it is brand new, especially in this crappy economy

That to me doesn't sound like that great of a deal , in march of 06 when i got my 06 , it was fresh from the crate while it was a current model and i paid $6,300 OTD so for a 07 or 08 in 2010 i would say it should be below or right at $6,000 to be a good deal , since when i got mine list was $7,100 and in 07 and 08 they were around $7,500 or so give or take a few hundred , so to be 2 or 3 years old the price should be lower than $6,500

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I haven't done it. The deals aren't smokin.

But is it really fair to call the 2008 a 2-year old bike? If it hasn't been ridden, it is just one year older than the most recent version of the 450x - since there was no 2010 model, and there may not be any 2011 model. Because of this, is it possible the dealers aren't in a super rush to cut the price and get them out the door? They may have at least another year before they have to "make room" for the newest model.

yea but the whole reason there are no 2010 or 11's is because of all the leftovers(thanks to the economy) so you would think they would be happy to blow a few out to keep flooring costs down

I know the Honda/Suzuki/KTM/Kawasaki dealer near me went from selling 200-300 bikes a month to about 50-75(just in dirtbikes , and all those brands) so i know that they make deals just to keep sales up, as they are hardly selling any compared to what they were doing in 05-06-07

in 06 i had to wait 3 days for them to get mine in , because they could not keep any in stock they were selling so fast , now they still have new 07 and 08's that were there in 08 , and i paid $1,000 less than list back when they were selling so fast they couldn't keep any in stock, and it was a current year model

$5499 for a new '07 450X is the best deal I can find in AZ. I almost bought this bike and still might. It seems like they don't really care to sell it though. With no production of the 2010 or 2011 450X it seems the 450X is discontinued and that prices on all years should come way down. I never got the economic recovery memo. Most everyone I know has scaled back....."change" the govt can shove up its arse.

$5499 for a new '07 450X is the best deal I can find in AZ.

Is that an OTD price? The OTD shop in Los Angeles that I mentioned above has a sale price of $5399, or $5999 OTD.

I don't know much about the business aspect of selling "old" bikes like this. At $5399 I would guess that they are selling the bike at cost - or even maybe a loss? At what point is it better to get SOMETHING for the bike even if it's a loss? Or will they just hold it forever to avoid a loss?

Is that an OTD price? The OTD shop in Los Angeles that I mentioned above has a sale price of $5399, or $5999 OTD.

I don't know much about the business aspect of selling "old" bikes like this. At $5399 I would guess that they are selling the bike at cost - or even maybe a loss? At what point is it better to get SOMETHING for the bike even if it's a loss? Or will they just hold it forever to avoid a loss?

I think that price is plus TTL not OTD. The bike is at Western Honda in Scottsdale. Great place to buy a bike!