01 power valve question

Hey guys, after I rebuilt my bike in the spring I guess I assembled the power valve and forgot to turn it putting any tension on the spring. I thought the difference in power from before was from the new piston and such. I was reading another post about the power valve and decided to check mine and noticed that there was no tension at all on the spring. I loosened the screws and turned it clockwise one full turn like my book says. I had it out yesterday and the bike was like a turd compared to what it was. I then turned it back off and the bike was alive again. I just don't like having to turn the throttle WFO to get the hit. I like the power right then and there when I touch the throttle. Anyway, after all this I guess my question is...will this hurt the bike if I have no tension on the PV spring?

Are you sure it calls for 1 full turn? My 02 says 1/4 turn. That would make a huge difference as to when the power valve opens. I don't think it would hurt to run it with no tension, but I think it would run better if it was adjusted correct.

okay, I guess my book is wrong then, i think it is for a 99 but thought it was close enough to work. I will put a 1/4 turn on it and see what it does. Anyone have an 01 manual to confirm the setting? I know that 1 full turn just ain't going to work. The bike is just plain lazy and you have to crack it wide open to get it going.

I know mine is 180* or 1/2 turn from when you 1st feel the spring catch.

What year is your bike? I tried to back it off a little at a time trying to find the sweet spot and just couldn't until it just stopped spinning back when I losened the screws. I assume it has no tension on it. It was like night and day difference on power take off with it turned on.

oh one more question, does it matter which way the spring goes in? I put it in both ways and I think it changes where the dot on the adjusted it postioned when starting to turn.

What year is your bike? I tried to back it off a little at a time trying to find the sweet spot and just couldn't until it just stopped spinning back when I losened the screws. I assume it has no tension on it. It was like night and day difference on power take off with it turned on.

oh one more question, does it matter which way the spring goes in? I put it in both ways and I think it changes where the dot on the adjusted it postioned when starting to turn.

Mines an 06. I don't think it matters as long as the spring catches properly.....

For the longest time I have been hearing people say "adjust the power valve". ?

Its a set it and forget operation. There are no adjustments for the any exhaust valve to my knowledge.

Mines an 06. I don't think it matters as long as the spring catches properly.....

For the longest time I have been hearing people say "adjust the power valve". ?

Its a set it and forget operation. There are no adjustments for the any exhaust valve to my knowledge.

Yes, I am kinda thinking that is the case as well, cause I keep turning it back alittle at a time and no change until it had no tension on it and then you could see the difference, and man does it make a difference. Try it and you will see what I mean. You can turn it back afterwards but if you are like me you wont want to turn it back.

Yes, I am kinda thinking that is the case as well, cause I keep turning it back alittle at a time and no change until it had no tension on it and then you could see the difference, and man does it make a difference. Try it and you will see what I mean. You can turn it back afterwards but if you are like me you wont want to turn it back.

I doubt I would like it. I'm an MX/SX guy and I need as much topend as I can get. Even with my powervalve set my bike rips my arms off out of the turns. Bike is FAST! Aakmetz doesn't like riding it because it hammers out of corners and his 125 is almost as fast!

I doubt I would like it. I'm an MX/SX guy and I need as much topend as I can get. Even with my powervalve set my bike rips my arms off out of the turns. Bike is FAST! Aakmetz doesn't like riding it because it hammers out of corners and his 125 is almost as fast!

Thats the thing, it doesnt affect the top it is the same all the way through. my bike rips A$$ from the bottom all the way up. it doesn't have that buuuuaaaaawaaaaaaa. its waaaaaaaaaaa the whole time.

Thats the thing, it doesnt affect the top it is the same all the way through. my bike rips A$$ from the bottom all the way up. it doesn't have that buuuuaaaaawaaaaaaa. its waaaaaaaaaaa the whole time.

hmmmm, interesting as mine is like that as well.

Mine goes Ringggggggadingggggggding ? Hey, we get a little blue grass back ground going we mite have a hit song?

??:cheers: you crazy A$$, If I start hearing any banjo I am running for the hills.:ride:

SQUEEL LIKE A PIG!!!!?:lol:?

Edited by jackson409
cause i can't spell

??? you crazy A$$, If I start hearing any bango I am running for the hills.:cheers:

SQUEEL LIKE A PIG!!!!:ride:?:lol:

Save Me Burt,, Save Me Burt,, I don't want to squeel like a pig,,,,but,,,, for real, I have tried all kind of adjustments, and settled for one real close to stock,,,,no lack of power anywhere,,,,in the woods or on the track,,tractor, or buzz-saw....got to love those RM's,,,they keep You young,,, I sorta feel sorry for People that have never experience the power of an RM......Dr.D..

I had issues with my 03 with no tension on the powervalve. It would flop around in there sounding like it was pinging. My Ktm would clunk open with the lightest tension possible and I liked the power on that one but the RM actually runs better with the tension set stiffer than factory spec.

I had issues with my 03 with no tension on the powervalve. It would flop around in there sounding like it was pinging. My Ktm would clunk open with the lightest tension possible and I liked the power on that one but the RM actually runs better with the tension set stiffer than factory spec.

Yeah, I think I am going to leave as little tension as possible so like your KTM as soon as I touch the throttle it is open. I don't hear anything coming from the motor when I have it set no tension IDK maybe it is making noise and I just don't hear it. I like it to have the power there the minute I touch the throttle not about half throttle like it was.

Yeah,, Mine is set a little stiffer than stock,,works good.......Dr.D..

my thing is I ride trails alot so I don't want to have to crack that beeoch half throttle or better or pull the clutch half way slipping it to get the revs up fast enough to pop it up over a log or rock or puddle. I just blip the throttle a tad and that wild yellow beast just jumps and rumps and I don't have that retarded kinda delay. If I was MX/SX riding your pretty much in the throttle wfo or off the throttle all the time so it doesn't make for such a concern wether or not there is a delay in throttle response.

So Jackson, how do You have Yours set,,where is the adjustment knob set, send a picture of the position of it, or try to explain where the position of the adjustment knob is,,maybe a lot of riders that adjust it may have different positions, because the strength of the springs may be different,,just a thought,,do those tension springs fail very often,,I don't know because I never had a problem with that stuff,, but , I assure You that if I did, I would know everything about it,but, I didn't have any problems, so I don't know shit,,but at least that's another part of the bike that You can adjust,, and , custom adjustment for different parts of any machine is great......have a good one.......Dr.D..

So Jackson, how do You have Yours set,,where is the adjustment knob set, send a picture of the position of it, or try to explain where the position of the adjustment knob is,,maybe a lot of riders that adjust it may have different positions, because the strength of the springs may be different,,just a thought,,do those tension springs fail very often,,I don't know because I never had a problem with that stuff,, but , I assure You that if I did, I would know everything about it,but, I didn't have any problems, so I don't know shit,,but at least that's another part of the bike that You can adjust,, and , custom adjustment for different parts of any machine is great......have a good one.......Dr.D..

yeah I don't know if the spring is bad but it feels okay. here is a pic of what it is, if you notice that the little dot is just a hair past the mark on the block. It starts tension just before the mark and I turned it till it just passed it so it has a hair of tension on it.

IMAG0023.jpg